View post (touchy topic....just wondering)

View thread

tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/20/2006 4:39 am
before i write what i'm going to, i'll let everyone know that i don't plan on taking this much farther than my initial question and if the children behave like children, i will kill my own thread. i have no qualms about that.

so i have this to ask:

with almost everything in life, the burden of proof lays on proving that something had happened or that something does in fact exist. nowhere is this more the case than with evolution, where it is constantly scrutinized and challeneged to prove itself. and so with that in mind, i ask this:

why is the burden of proof not on the theologians and other religious leaders to prove that their deity is real? why is the burden of proof always put on those in doubt to show that something might not exist? why are those who would ask for scientific evidence presented and researched by independent parties simply frowned upon and shunned?

sorry if this ruffles feathers...but it just seems counter-intuitive to me to require proof for everything but to require proof with religion is so aggressively frowned upon. i mean if someone said they could cure cancer then you asked for proof and they yelled at you for doubting them and saying they don't have to provide proof....wouldn't you think they're a liar and a jerk for being mean to you when you were skeptical?

again, i'm sorry but with the whole pope vs the angry muslims thing recently...i just kinda started thinking about this stuff. i realize religion is something very deeply imbedded in the majority of humanity...but it just seems to be absurd at this point in the history of humanity to not require more and put the burden of proof where it logically belongs.

and to the mods, you're welcome to delete this thread if it makes you squeamish...i understand. i'm not looking to start a fight...just ask questions that it seems are never answered by people. just please send me a love letter so i'll know it wasn't just bumped off the first page. :p

....or not....seems i can't delete threads here...sorry, used to message boards where the people can just delete their own threads or at least lock them.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.