midi issues

jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/18/2006 3:38 am
so i got cakewalk...music creator pro 24..aside from being a complete illiterate to the software as of now...apparently i cant seem to generate any midi output...same thing happened when i had reason demo...i was going thru their 'getting started' tutorials and when i loaded up one of their pre made tracks, there was no sound when i played it back....i checked the settings under options, and there doesnt seem to be any output listed...but thats weird...anyone can help me out?
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2006 4:10 am
Not sure if this applies to Windows computers, but on my Mac I need to have OMS installed. (Open Music System 2.3.8)
It's a free download if ya need it, just Google around for it.
# 2
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/18/2006 4:28 am
thanks schmange..but apparently its only for mac...im still trying to find something similar for pc..no luck so far..baah its irritating :(
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2006 6:12 am
Bummer.
I go through this kinda crap on a regular basis & feel yer pain.

I've never used Cakewalk but on Cubase, the next thing to check is to make sure the output is going to the right instrument.
(For each track on Cubase there's a pull-down selection).
If you're using a VST instrument, you have to select which one.
If you're using an outboard instrument, you have to select which port you're using (firewall, usb, modem etc..)
Also check to be sure you're transmitting on MIDI channel #1 or "ANY".
(it may not matter but try anyways)

Make sure the VST instrument is turned on or the outboard keyboard is ready to go and plugged into an amp.
Make sure you have a working patch loaded.
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2006 8:13 am
Originally Posted by: jeffhxso i got cakewalk...
...apparently i cant seem to generate any midi output...
...i checked the settings under options, and there doesnt seem to be any output listed...but thats weird...anyone can help me out?

I have a few versions of CW systems. I don't have Music Creator but you can try this most typical solution to this type of CW problem is:

Pull-down menu - Options
General tab - Hit the Wave Profiler button

AND/OR

Advanced Tab bottom section under "Playback and Recording" check (or uncheck!) the box that reads "Always Use MME Interface..."

You may have to close and reopen the app. After that you may also have to go back to Options --> MIDI --> and move your soundcard listing to the top (or try the MIDI Mapper if it shows up).

The point behind all this is that sometimes CW apps don't automatically "find and use" the appropriate sound card drivers for the machine they are on. WDM (Windows Media Drivers) are newer but some MME (Multi-Media Extensions) are a better fit - and sometimes the only fit.

Good luck & hope this helps.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2006 11:19 am
what are you using as a tone generator ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
ren
ren
09/18/2006 11:42 am
I use Sonar (also cakewalk) - when I don't see devices under 'output' it's because the drivers have corrupted (or I've forgotten to install them - doh!).

Might be worth checking your drivers for whatever hardware you're running..... When you say 'no output listed' do you mean you can't see settings for output, or that you can see the settings, but nothing is isted as a possible output device? If it's the latter, it's gotta be your drivers...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/18/2006 12:53 pm
it stated Windows MIDI Mapper on the list...but when i click on it and clicked OK the warning pop up appears..stating that there is no driver being selected...im totally new to this thing..i just wanted a drum machine lol...i also tried tweaking with the settings cschlegel mentioned above...still the same thing...baah computers :(
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/18/2006 3:33 pm
If you click on any old midi file does it open in media player or another default player? If so, then at least you know it's not a problem with the pc and is just a setting within the software...
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2006 8:51 pm
You do know that you need to use a midi tone generator either i.e. a soft synth or an external box (or the one on your sound card). With out this you will not get any noise.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 10
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/19/2006 12:52 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonYou do know that you need to use a midi tone generator either i.e. a soft synth or an external box (or the one on your sound card). With out this you will not get any noise.

oh...an external thingy...that explains it then...my bad
# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/19/2006 8:34 am
It doesn't have to be an external box, most soundblaster cards have it built in. Basically, if you can click on a midi file and hear it, then you have the capability, then it just becomes a matter of configuring the editing/sequencing software.

Click the following:

Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio > Audio (there will be three tabs, Sound Playback, Sound Recording, Midi Playback)

What does it say under Midi Playback?
# 12
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/19/2006 1:48 pm
it says Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth....under current audio output, it stated my driver, which is realtek ac97 audio..the same output device for my other sound producing thingies...what does this mean? does it mean its built in?

thanks heaps guys really appreaciate it..
# 13
ren
ren
09/19/2006 2:09 pm
That means it's software rather tha hardware. Can you select your realtek as a midi device?

The Microsoft synth works, but latency may be a problem because it uses RAM and CPU cycles. You may find in the fullness of time that your drums etc are no longer in sync with the rest of the audio.

Can you play a midi file using the MS synth? What version of windows are you running?

**Edit**

Not sure it helps, but there are a fair few posts on the cakewalk forums about realtek chipsets - like this. If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. Might be worth taking a walk over to the cakewalk forums yourself and seeing whether anything over there helps...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 14
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/20/2006 8:15 am
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspThat means it's software rather tha hardware. Can you select your realtek as a midi device?

The Microsoft synth works, but latency may be a problem because it uses RAM and CPU cycles. You may find in the fullness of time that your drums etc are no longer in sync with the rest of the audio.

Can you play a midi file using the MS synth? What version of windows are you running?

**Edit**

Not sure it helps, but there are a fair few posts on the cakewalk forums about realtek chipsets - like this. If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. Might be worth taking a walk over to the cakewalk forums yourself and seeing whether anything over there helps...

thanks dude..sigh i guess i wud need to get one of those external boxes then..id look into it more..thanks guys thanks heaps for ur inputs... :D
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.