Effects for tapping.

equator
equator
09/15/2006 5:46 pm
I am hoping someone knows what is the best way of setting up the effects for the tapping technique.
I am having a hard time with noise gate and compressor.
I get feedback, and when I increase the noise gate even a point, the tapped notes get week .
I hate getting feedback noises!
By the way my guitar is already with low action.
And another question …Which pickup works best for tapping?

Thanks guys in advance.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/16/2006 4:59 am
You could try switching the noise gate off while tapping, then switch it back on when you play rhythm.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
09/18/2006 9:09 pm
uh, to tell you the truth, ive never had any problems whatsoever with tapping. like, my normal setup suits it perfectly; so i really dont know what to tell you in that regard.

your tapped notes should sound at the exact same strength as your normal picked notes. its all in how solidly you tap it. like, with a good tap on and pull off. I learned to tap on an acoustic, it really helps you strengthen your tapping hand.

also, as pickups go, it depends on the sound you want. really, tapping should sound just like normal picking tone-wise. I prefer the tone of the neck pup for my solos in general, so I use that.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/21/2006 4:22 pm
My guess is that you have the distortion up full, try bringing it down to about 60-70% - it will actually make everything you play a lot clearer. Also, try switching most of the tone settings to around 60 percent (adjust to taste). The noise you mention could be a combination of the pickups you are using, damaged or low quality leads/cables and sitting too close to the amp/pc monitor or other electrical equipment. If you are looking to upgrade your pickups, try Dimarzio Evolutions - they are great all rounders, very hot with high output, great for rhythm and lead and for controlled feedback. Beware though, they will force you to play better because you will hear your mistakes a lot more clearly! Not a bad thing for improving though;-)
I'd lose the noise gate all together or else turn it way down, if you have it turned up very high it's because there is a problem with your set up or you are sitting too close to something that is causing electrical interference. Hope that helps!
# 4
equator
equator
09/21/2006 4:55 pm
Thanks guys.
Is there such a thing like too much distortion?…just joking. :D
I reckon I am not the best at this technique, but I am working on it, and taking baby steps towards the so called two-handed tapping technique.
The problem I am having is not due to the pickups on my guitar, or my guitar itself.
Because when I play on “dry” amp, I don`t get feedback noises, and all the notes sound at the same level.
Turning the noise gate off, would only let all of the unwanted noises come thru .
I think Superhuman is right about rotating the drive and tone knobs to get the desired tone.
I would love to have the Dimarzio Evolutions pickups on my guitar.
Thanks guys again for all your input.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.