View post (Modes)

View thread

Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/14/2006 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: gennationSee how the patterns are exactly the same but the Root note and the Name have changed?

But see the contrasting thought on the last page when a name is tied to ONE pattern.

While it's easy to learn the patterns and call them a name...sometimes it takes people years or decades even to realize the name has nothing to do with the pattern...it's the Root note that will give it it's name. And regardless of the pattern...it's the Intervals from the Root that corespond to the name.

The most important thing you can learn about modes is, learn the chords they belong to.

So, look down the right side of each modes chart and learn what chords are built from what modes.

For instance, ANY time you see a Dominant 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th chord...playing a Mixolydian from that chords Root is a dead ringer.

If you see a maj7 chord, from the chords Root - Ionian, or Lydian are your choices, sometimes they are even interchangable and can be used together...because they imply that same maj7 chord.

If you see a m7 chord...try Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian...a m7 chord can be built from each of them.

BUT...you have to also understand Keys, and how the chords are built from a Tonic in the Diatonic system...

Now go read that mode doc (http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/MusicTheory/Diatonic/DiatonicTOC.htm) and read it to learn what sound, what chord, a mode implies.

So your saying that if i was to write a new song.
i would say lets right it in the key of c and the style of the song would be in the pattern of lydian. would i be correct in saying that? also someone said maybe you, that once ive learnt the first pattern lets say ionion( u know what i mean). if i played that pattern for that song does that mean i stick to that pattern or can i change pattern? and when im in that key of c and i play the lydian scale do i just use the same pattern and change it to the right root note everytime a chord is mooved from one to the next?.
im just trying to work it out in my head.