View post (Cleaning up recordings)

View thread

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
09/08/2006 3:00 am
Ok, the scenario is I've done some demo recording as of late and I've had my first hands on experience with some new equipment, namely Adobe's Audition and a Fostex MR-8, digital 8-track recorder. The results of the process were less than satisfactory in the respect that the recording came out muddy. So here's what I've been doing.

Programmed drums and synths on my computer and recorded them into a digital 8 track recorder on one track.
Recorded three guitar tracks.
Recorded two vocal tracks.

I pulled the wav files off the recorder and loaded them into Audition and did some volume balancing and half-assed eqing and quickly came to the conlusion that I really don't know what it is that I"m looking at. The results were quite muddy. You can hear eveything the song has to listen to, just not nearly as easily as I'd prefer. I'm guessing that part of the problem is because I loaded the drums and synth on one track and lost the ability to eq properly between the two of them and that perhaps I've kept the lows up a bit much when recording the guitars. Any thoughts?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.