How do u start your journey?

Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 2:57 pm
i would like to begin my journey on the road how do u know when uve got a good enough background or when u know when u feel confident enough to go on the road?
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/07/2006 3:40 pm
Nothing like the first step.

Get a band started.
If that is done make sure you have enough songsto play a gig.

If that is done and you are gigging locally then create a 3 song demo for club owners (use your best 3 songs but try to have a slow, fast and a "cover" -- try to know the venue you are sendin it too so your cover will cater to the crowd. Most Soccer Moms won't like "Battery" by Metallica but may enjoy "Brick House" or something.

If you don't want to play any covers and just play originals in a specific genre the dissregard the last part of the previous paragraph. IF you just want to start getting out there and start playing then be open and learn as many styles and songs so your band can gig at most places and and you are able to cater to each crowd at your gigs.

Start sending out the demos to outlying towns and good luck. If you keep your options open and try not to turn down any work your should start seeing progress. It will be mall at first but it will continue to grow.

My 2 cents and good luck.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 3:43 pm
my style is chillis + dream theater plus sanata joe satriani + gary more + steve lukather and jimmy hendrix and vai (just a little)
# 3
ren
ren
09/07/2006 3:51 pm
On a lot of things...

Are you in a band? You'll have to go some or be very lucky to manage to start off solo unless you can build a following through contacts / friends etc.

You could start off going to local jam nights - that's what I did, and it was a nice gentle introduction. They are held all over the UK at all sorts of venues.

You could start busking - then you're literally 'on the road'.... :D

It's difficult to jump into the Satch/Vai wagon from nowhere - not least because 99% of the non-guitar playing populous aren't interested in instrumental music.....

Have you played any gigs / done any sessions / recorded a demo?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 3:54 pm
ive done open mike nights for a blues bar gary moore type stuff i have a jam band atm thye do mainly primus and jazz and liquid tension expeirment stuff with us thrown inbetween.
# 5
ren
ren
09/07/2006 3:59 pm
It's probably as simple as recording a demo like Jimmy already said, and sending it to venues - focus on places that you think will fit the style you play.... jazz clubs obviously. Myspace etc are good, and you can message people based on post code within x number of miles of the venue to let them know you have a gig on...

You just need to get gigs. Being 'on the road' would be getting a pile of them in a relatively short period of time spread all over the place.... simple

:cool:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 4:05 pm
i mean when do u know when u got "skills"?
# 7
ren
ren
09/07/2006 4:12 pm
when people will pay to see/hear you play, and don't throw things at you while you are. Depends what you are playing. For most pop for instance, you're good to go when you can play E, A & D!

If you can play your set note perfect without fail, you're ready....

I didn't have confidence in my ability until I passed a certain grading exam, and then I felt happy. It didn't make me play any better, but in my experience it's common for musicians to lack self-belief in the early days... after a while we become ego maniacs... it's best to stay in the middle....

# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/07/2006 6:35 pm
Ya kinda need to get out there and do it before you know if you have the skills or not.
Just get started and worry about the skills later. They'll develop by themselves while you gain a whole ton of experience.
Hell, the first time I played live with a band in front of an audience, I didn't even know how to play. I got hired to fill in for a bass player and for most of the sets I just stood there and plucked the E string or pretended to play.
The experience was invaluable though & it got me over any stage fright real quick cause i knew it couldn't get any worse than that.
Next band I went on tour with was a country band & all I knew was a few hard rock tunes.
I got hired on the recommendation of somebody in the band and had to learn 4 sets worth of songs plus all the harmonies in one week while watching the band from the audience. The next week I had to take over whether I could do it or not.
You just gotta force yourself to go do it and hope that you have the skills to pull it off.
# 9
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/07/2006 6:42 pm
i rememebr my first time playing infront of 50 ppl i was playing mama kin (areosmith version) and i got to the solo and i felt a huge rush of energy take over me and i started to shove out all this energy i have thru my guitar it felt awsome. but the funny thing was i had my volume knob half way down lol and i was the rythm guitarist. but after that it felt like a rollercoaster and i wanted to go again. i havnt felt like that for a long time. and all i can think about is being better or as good as joe satriani.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.