a coupla questions. (acoustic)

rockonn91
rockonn91
09/06/2006 6:42 pm
okay, Ive got a couple of things that Ive been meaning to put in here at one point or another, but never got around to it.

So here goes.

Okay. First off, I play a whole lot of acoustic, and all this time I still havnt gotten a pickup for it. I play mostly percussive stuff on it, though- with alot of tapping. Anyone know any good pups that will pick up both percussive stuff and still be good enough to pick up tapping well?

Second, Ive been in the market for a new acoustic. right now, Ive got a pretty old Yamaha, but it has a relatively high action, which isnt superb for tapping and stuff. So any suggestions would be great.

pricerange at the moment is $400 tops.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
09/06/2006 7:23 pm
Hm... do you mean tapping as in travis picking... ala jack johnson/jason mraz.... or tapping like speed tapping? I don't speed tap at all on my acoustics... i do travis pick quite a bit... (travis picking is when you get the popping sound when you slap your fingers on the strings... gives it a percussive sound).... For percussive acoustic guitar I highly recommend going with an interior mic rather than a pickup.... A mic will pick up the full range of sounds better than a pickup. The pickup will only pick up the noise that's transferred through the strings.

Can't really think of any guitars down around 400 bucks off the top of my head... But check out Breedlove, Alvarez, and Takamine guitars. They have a wide range of guitars... Alvarez and Takamine have guitars in your price range.... Breedlove is a more pricey brand... but they're great guitars.
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/06/2006 9:34 pm
If you have a guitar center close by look into the "Mitchell" acoustic. I beleive it is a "store brand" but is an acoustic/electric.

The action is more middle of the road (not high but not low) treb, bass eq and vol ume is all you get and the plug is located on the bottom starp peg.

Cost around 200.00 US but works great no problems and have used it in live stiuations many times.

Good all round guitar for the price. Saves you some ducks for a pedal or 2 or whatever else.

Luck!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
09/06/2006 10:31 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanHm... do you mean tapping as in travis picking... ala jack johnson/jason mraz.... or tapping like speed tapping? I don't speed tap at all on my acoustics... i do travis pick quite a bit... (travis picking is when you get the popping sound when you slap your fingers on the strings... gives it a percussive sound)....

yeah, the first. I do Justin King, Kaki King, the like. nice melodic tapping, tapping out chords and stuff. like the chorus of Justin K's Larrivee .

yeah, I was definatly leaning towards an interior mic. any good brands?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.