Home Studio

thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
09/04/2006 10:29 am
Hello how you be?
I will be most likely purchasing a http://www.tascam.com/Products/dp01.html . I'm wondering apart from mike and headphones what else will i need? Also if it's not too much what kind of mike should i get? Not too expensive either.
Thank you muchly for your time.
Cheers
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/04/2006 12:32 pm
Get at least one Sure SM57 mic, great all rounder and also very cheap. In fact you will find these in all top studios - one of the staples for recording live guitars.

Any particular reason you are going with the DP01? If you are just starting, I would suggest investing in either Protools LE (to start) or Cubase SX3. A good soundcard like an M-Audio Delta 1010 will give you enough inputs to record a drum kit live and you can alwys get a cheaper Tascam US428 (you don't even need a soundcard to operate this) to act as a DAW controller for editing within Cubase and Protools. Depends on what you are looking for. Just saying if it was me, I'd go the software route. Hardware stations are great in theory but can be quite limiting - depends entirely on the type of music you intend to work with...
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2006 1:25 pm
For a good vocal mic, get the Rode NT-1. It's only around $100 and comes with a shock mount. Just be sure you have phantom power for it.
As far as a workstation goes... just my opinion but you'd be far better off with software for your computer. Workstations are ok for amateur stuff or raw demos, but if you really want decent recordings you need something like Cubase or whatever and a decent mixer.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2006 2:26 pm
Beware the evils of home studio ownership. Mine has sucked up all my disposable income for the last 4 years !! I can do without socks and toothpaste but that new mic, well, it just sounds great... I must have it !

Rode mics are lovely, I have a couple of NT2As. They are very versatile and sound great. SM57s are also a good choice as they are also very versatile. They will not sound as nice as a Large Diaphragm Condenser (LDC) on critical vocals (though will do at a pinch) but are great for drums and cranked guitar amps. Another good cheep choice are the Studio Projects mics (which can be had for a very low price at the moment as they are just about to be re-issued with a re-designed capsule). I was using my Studio projects C3 on a female vocal the other day and it sounded great ! I was very pleasantly surprised as, on this persons voice it sounded just as good as my AKG C414 which comes in at 3 times the price.

Any of these condenser mics will benefit from being run through a nice outboard preamp. The ART TPS (2 channels @ 200 bucks) and the JoeMeek 3Q (one channel @ 200 bucks) will both improve the way your mics sound no end. Great for vocals. For things like drums, well the stock pres will be more than adequate !

When your bank balance has recovered you might want to think about getting some flat response near-field monitors. They are much easier to mix through than headphones and can be had relatively cheaply. Get the active powered ones if possible as the amps are tailored to the speakers they drive which means less distortion.

My 2C, a studio in a box is not a bad alternative to the computer rout (esp PCs) if you don't want to use MIDI. If you like MIDI, the computer is the way to go. Why do I say this, well the studio in a box type workstations just work and doesn't crash every 5 min. Consequently you spend less time working out latency and driver issues and more time recording. The studio in a box is also much cheeper (it comes with FX, Preaps, multiple simultaneous inputs etc) and for someone just starting out, easier to get good results on. You can also sell it later or hook it up to a computer system when you have out grown it or want to expand in ways it cant help with. As for as desks go, that is another thing Id avoid until you know more about what you want. Yept hey can be great for increasing your track count and generating sub-mixes however once you have made that sub-mix you are stuck with it. If you are recording your mates band and are on a budget, they can be useful however in 5 years you may look back and cringe at the way the sub-mix sounds and not be able to do anything about it. If it were me, If not touch a desk with a barge poll and instead bounce tracks (using the virtual tracks -non destructive editable sub mic) to get sub mixes which can be blended in with everything else during the final mix. You can also go back and turn down the damn hi-hat if it is too loud.

A Line 6 pod is also a very useful tool for recording guitar on. Very easy to get good results with.

I have an 18 ch Peavey desk for sale if you are interested !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
09/05/2006 4:04 am
Soory, i may seem dumb but what do you mean by desk
And i don't want to make complicated type music thus the reason i want a recorder like this. I just want some thing that's quick anyway i mainly play bluesy/sabbathy stuff. I don't want it to sound perfect if that makes sense thanks all
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/05/2006 11:22 am
mixing desk. They are great as they have microphone preamps EQ and the ability to mix several mics to one or two channels.

I think that for your needs the Tascam will be fine. You can expand as you want when you are ready.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
09/06/2006 2:46 am
Hey, thanks muchly. Just if anyone is interested i did a recording with a ten dollar computer mike a few weeks ago. You can find it here www.myspace.com/untitledindividual
it isn't good not even in time at parts and the drums on the end of my bed but all the same cheers thanks for all your help.
# 7
omsai
omsai
09/07/2006 9:11 am
Originally Posted by: thebluesbreakerHello how you be?
I will be most likely purchasing a http://www.tascam.com/Products/dp01.html . I'm wondering apart from mike and headphones what else will i need? Also if it's not too much what kind of mike should i get? Not too expensive either.
Thank you muchly for your time.
Cheers

i have no mike and headphones. i want to purchase the headphones and mike. get me some ideas to purchase mike and headphones.
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/07/2006 11:29 am
How much is your budget?
# 9
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/07/2006 12:46 pm
Originally Posted by: omsaii have no mike and headphones. i want to purchase the headphones and mike. get me some ideas to purchase mike and headphones.

Well...as far as mikes go...you could start by reading the thread above.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 10
Hobtopvub
Hobtopvub
09/29/2006 2:57 am
Great information
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2006 5:45 am
Heh.... my socks have hole in em too.
It's the mark of a great musician.
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.