improving tips...

pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
08/29/2006 8:19 pm
ok folks, here is an area where i need some help. i know about scales and playing them in various keys and such, i guess i need help figuring out HOW to play ad lib. such as what to do when the chord changes, how to develop those licks, so on. Im gonna buy a loop machine soon, but 'till then, ANY tips woul be apreciated...
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/29/2006 8:59 pm
Learn to "Bridge your Boxes".

Basically learn how to shift from each scale box to the next.

Try playing a standard scale (any that you know) starting on the 6th string and play it normal, 5 th string play normal but when you get to the "end/last" note (instead of going straight to the 4th string) on the fifth string slide/shift an extra note or 2 then find the next scale pattern that would allow you to play the 4th and 3rd string (staying within the scale) and repeat for the last 2 strings.

This should give you a good linear run that would help you break out of the boxes and and helps with leggato.

2 cents.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
ren
ren
08/30/2006 8:36 am
The only hard and fast advice I can offer is to make sure you know which notes in the scale(s) you are playing are chord tones. you can get away with a fair bit if you resolve it back to one of them.

Improvising well is nothing more than practice. Over time, you learn to avoid the stuff that sounds crap. There is no magic answer I'm afraid....

Jimmy is right on linking the patterns so you can move across the neck. Playing the scale along one string horizontally as well as in a standard box is also helpful, but developing licks is something you have to do yourself. I'd recommend listening to other players and seenig how they do it - I've ripped loads off Satch and Vai if I'm honest :D

Might also be worth grabbing a G3 DVD or something to watch it happening too...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.