View post (Diatonic scale-Most important need to know!)

View thread

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/28/2006 4:18 pm
I personally hate talking theory -- It's too much like politics.

But I am intrigued by your post. For my students who want to learn theory (I only teach basic--Very Basic theory-- anything else and I send them packing to the music store for a book or tell them to talk to their music/band teachers at school).

For the ones that are interested I always begin with Diatonic Chord Harmony -- Starting with C major and working through all keys etc.

Only when I feel they have an understanding do I go into the Diatonic Scales/Modes and I usually start scales with the Myxolydian (G) in the open position. I am a firm beliver in mastering the first 5 frets and then building upon that foundation.

I'll ususally then go to the Stripped down Aeolian (E) also known as the basic Blues/Pent Scale since most of my students enjoy rock and how can you go wrong with Rock n Roll?

From there I will, depending on the level of interest, go into more depth or just make them aware of the others with chordprogressions and easy scales patterns for them to use in soloing over the chord progressions.

Great Topic.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]