Extra tone pot addition

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/28/2006 12:52 am
As you may know, i have the olp petrucci with a tone zone and humbucker from hell.
It has a 250k volume (push/push coil spit) and a 500k (i think) tone.
My problem is that i really need another tone pot in the guitar, as i need alot of treble for the hfh but find the tone zone sounds a little bright and trebly so i want a seperate tone for it.
Would it be wise to wire the guitar with a tone for each (means drilling a new hole :eek: )?
And i realise this is a stupid question, but would a 250k tone for the tz be alright? And a stupider question- if i order a tone pot, would i have to order a seperate capacitor?

Help is appreciated.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
08/28/2006 1:29 am
sorry, i have nothing to contribute other than the fact at first glance I thought this said extra tone pot addiction.

and I was like wtf is tone pot?
and where can I find some?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/28/2006 1:41 am
I'm assuming the TZ is a pick up
Normally tone controls are connected to the output of a pick up - the tone pot has a capacitor connected to it which then connects to ground - as you turn the tone pot more and more treble frequencies are shorted through the capacitor to ground - resulting in more and more bass - so the action of the tone pot is maximum treble at one end and maximum bass at the other.
Altering the size of the existing capacitor should give you more bass at one end, but the same amount of treble at the other - I would try a different capacitor first......................I think
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/28/2006 2:25 am
A Stratocaster tone capacitor is .02microfarrad and is very trebly so I'd try a bit bigger .03uf ( microfarrad).
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.