Guitar World's "Best Solo's Ever"

maser
maser
08/22/2001 9:39 pm
Does anyone find it interesting that in this lastest special issue of Guitar Legends..."Smells like Teen Spirit" came in in the top 20 Best Solo's ever. When I read this I realized that...I didn't remember that song even having a solo. I dusted off that CD and threw it in and there is one, its just the same notes as the vocals, same intervals and timing. Yet this somehow sits over all the mentions of Vai, Johnson and Satriani.

Im not bashing Nirvana...but this isn't is supposed to be SOLOS not popularity.

Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/22/2001 10:27 pm
Most people who read them magazines are Nirvana fans, it only makes sense that it would be up there. They all get into guitar to play Nirvana and all have little crappy pawn shop guiars cause they wanna be just like Kurt.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/23/2001 3:22 am
Alternatively, they might just have thought it sounded good. Stan Getz's Sax solos are so amazingly good, partly because he follows the melody so closely, you know a solo works when you know every note of it five years after listening to it. I'm not trying to be controversial, but I'd rather listen to a simple solo that is about the overall MUSIC than listening to someone w*nking all over the fretboard.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3

08/23/2001 2:06 pm
That's a fine point bardsley- however my feeling is that if it's a magazine devoted to the guitar, then it should reflect this in it's content. A top 20 solo list for example should choose it's solos based on the merit (not necessarily just speed) of the instrument in that song, for things such as melody and phrasing and yes, technique too. If they want a "most popular solos" list, then they ought to call it that. I guess it all comes down to whether guitar world is a magazine devoted to the instrument or more like a music magazine like Rolling Stone or something.

I subscribe to guitar world, and yeah it definately caters to new-age metallers and such, but it does try to balance with worthwhile stuff on the instrument.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.