Finally, time for a new Amp!!!

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/22/2006 12:51 am
Hello everyone. Got me lots of cash now and am looking for a new 50+ watt amp for less than $750CAD.

I originally was going to upgrade my marshall mg15 to an mg50, but have heard only bad things about it.
My guitar has a Humbucker from hell and a tone zone.

I'm looking for a beast that has:
-A real nice clean channel
-Enough gain (velvet revolver type) to play fat rythm.
-Real nice fat, rounded lead tone.

I've read about the Peavy valve king 50 watt combo and am very impressed (price especially). It's on sale for $462 Canadian plus free shipping on a Canadian website.
My only concern is that people say it's only good for classic rock and blues type stuff. Are they wrong, or could I change the tubes or add an overdrive in front of it to get the tone i want.This looks like a great amp.

Thanks for all responses.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/22/2006 1:14 am
Also, what about crate or a marshall avt50X?
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/22/2006 1:33 am
Some seriously snobbish cork-sniffers I know have had very good things to say about these amps. And they usually don't take Peavey very seriously at all. I'd say go for it.

Current music uses way too much distortion, and doesn't offer any subtlety in dynamics. Any POS amp will do that stuff. Even a good amp, with a nasty pedal in front of it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
08/22/2006 2:09 am
just remember....... solid state=ass
yours truly, cork sniffing snob :cool:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/22/2006 7:03 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpjust remember....... solid state=ass

Says who, you elitist? :p :D
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/22/2006 12:43 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpjust remember....... solid state=ass

Sounds like your talking about the effects of constipation.

Anyone have a vavle king?
Is it worth it to fork out the extra cash for a xxx?

METOOB
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/22/2006 1:13 pm
I have the 1x12 Valveking combo, and no, it is not worth it to spend the extra cash on the XXX! It is a very versatile amp, in my opinion. I play all sorts of styles with it. It's perfect for that hard rock velvet revolver type of overdrive. It's clean channel is very good as well! It's definitely loud enough to play along with a drummer too. I would strongly suggest putting in a new speaker though. The stock one is crap. I put an Eminence Wizard in mine, and it sounds great! It's also very pedal friendly, and lets the tone of your guitar really come through.

You can see a little review of mine in >THIS THREAD<
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/22/2006 1:18 pm
Thanks PRS and LATS.

Oh, and PRS, great review and thanks for taking the time to put together the great buying and amp pdf.

METOOB
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/26/2006 9:57 pm
I'd take that without a backward galnce if I were you.

if you have a Dimarzio Tonezone, andwhatever mystery pickup is the humbuckerfrom hell(stilldont know it you mean a good one,or bad one),but with any non-stock pickup,you should be ableto get more than enough distortion or gain out of pretty much any tube amps drive channel...especially if you are only going for the hard rock, velvet revovler kind of sound...from what I have seen, and from when I tried one, this is the dirty sound a Valveking covers best.

Lats is right,modern music pushes the gain way to much, and it sounds pants...if I only someone had told me that two years ago...now I roll the gain down a fair deal.

I'd snap that baby up...and then still have a few extra dollars to change the speaker, if necessary.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/30/2006 6:22 am
B-52 AT-100! I love it! awesome clean and distorted tones. the combo version, the AT-212, costs about $750 USD, which is about $800-$825 CAD, so a little out of your price range, but I think it'd be worth it. if not, well, can't go wrong with a XXX, I love mine! I haven't tried out a valveking yet, but if PRS says they're good, you can know that they really ARE good! Marshall tube amps are really versatile and great sounding too, though I haven't tried the hybrids, the solidstates are OK, but nothing compared to their tube amps.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.