Guitar names

pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
08/22/2006 12:03 am
Ok, to let you all know... I am officialy on my axe hunt, meaning Im looking around for a guitar that I'll play for the rest of my life... one I can really call "My dream axe..." well, I havent found her... though I would love to name her whenever I do.... SOOOOO, Im leaving it up to my GT family to help me come up a good one. To let you know, Im looking for a thin bodied archtop, or a solid body electric.... hope that helps, and I hope you guys help too! Thanks....
# 1
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/22/2006 1:50 am
How much do you have to spend? What sort of guitars do you most like? At least give us the general look of them.

Before I know any of that my knee-jerk reaction is to recommend either Warmoth or, if you've got lots of money, DeTemple Guitars. Or you could buy something vintage that will appreciate with age. Wish I'd kept some of my vintage guitars!
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/22/2006 2:10 am
If this is a special guitar, a name will suggest itself. You don't need us.

Examples:
Brand X: My first black 1984 Yamaha SBG1000. Advertising used to compare products to "Brand X". This guitar is the standard I measure all other guitars against.

The Stalker: My second black 1984 Yamaha SBG1000. I liked the one I bought new in 1984 (Brand X) so much, that when I saw one just like it on eBay, I bought it. At first, I called it The Stocker to differentiate it from the much-modified Brand X, but then I modified this one as well, and the nasty edge it has now suggested changing the name to "The Stalker".

Thumper Thudpucker: Any Doonesbury fan knows who Jimmy Thudpucker is. Thumper is my bass.

The Beater: I just bought a beat-up 1966 Yamaha SG-2 sunburst 'cause I was jonesin' for my first 'real' guitar back in 1969. The name is self-explanitory.

The Pegger: when I reached out for leads on some parts to fix up The Beater, a fellow denizen of another forum that I frequent put me on to a nice, clean, 1966 Yamaha SG-2 sunburst in a pawnshop in Winnipeg. Not only that, but he went out of his way to try it out, take some pix of it, and he got the shop owner to set it aside for me, at less than the sticker price! "Pegger" is sometimes a derogatory name applied to Winnipegers, but in this case, it serves to remind me of a good friend. The Guess Who aren't the only rockers who grew up in the Peg, and no one can truly claim to have lived until they've spent some quality time wailin' through a Garnet amp. :D

So don't rely on us to name your guitar. Time, and circumstance, will name it for you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
08/22/2006 2:19 pm
My friend had an acoustic that I named TFS which as you probalbly guessed stood for "Tune For SH**"
# 4
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/24/2006 12:07 am
My older brother bought one at a guitar auction of smoke damaged electrics in the seventies - neither of us knew about bridge intonation at the time and eventually he sold it - it was gorgeous - i'd love to find another one.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/24/2006 3:54 am
All I know is Betsy is taken. :p
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
rockonn91
rockonn91
08/24/2006 2:34 pm
hmm, yeah... how I go about naming my guitars is usually coincidentally.

like, my acoustic was named after two chicks who were with me before a gig.

as for my electric- "Carmalita"... uh, to tell the truth, Im not sure why I named it that. I guess it just hit me as a Carmalita.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 7
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/24/2006 6:25 pm
I guess I read the original post wrong. Duh. I have never given a name to any guitar I've owned though. I find names limiting for some reason.
# 8
Krunek
Krunek
08/25/2006 10:15 pm
Originally Posted by: pizzicatopickerOk, to let you all know... I am officialy on my axe hunt, meaning Im looking around for a guitar that I'll play for the rest of my life... one I can really call "My dream axe..." well, I havent found her... though I would love to name her whenever I do.... SOOOOO, Im leaving it up to my GT family to help me come up a good one. To let you know, Im looking for a thin bodied archtop, or a solid body electric.... hope that helps, and I hope you guys help too! Thanks....

A womans name, by all means... If a thin body electric, name her after some nowadays beauties; you know, the slim type.
If a solid body electric, go for one of that old fashion beauties; you know, the sandclock figure... ;)
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/26/2006 8:44 pm
well dude, I think you'll have to name her yourself whenyou meet her.
Before I bought my Les Paul three years ago, I was certain that whatever guitar I bought would be called Beth...its just aname I liked...now three more guitars later and I still dont have a guitar called Beth...my Les Paul told meher name,and it want Beth...she is Marie.

My other electrics all have names.(in theorder they were purchased)
Charlotte is my Cort,she is my oldest electric...had her about 6 years now.
Marie is My Gibson Les Paul...I love this guitar,she hashad some hectic mods,butnothing irreversable...now has a Bareknuckle nailbomb sitting in her bridge position, a Roland Gk3 on her (not screwed in,oir stuck on, but connected to the bridge, so no damage to the body) and I have just bought a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup to throw in the neck position, I want to put two push pull pots in as well, for single coils sounds from both humbuckers, and maybe an out ofpahse option.

Michelle is my Ibanez mmm1 baritone

Evelyn is my Ibanez Ergodyne, she is my least favourite guitar, she is in London because I left there in a hurry asmost of you remember, and didnt have time to bring both guitars to the airport,or make two trips,or call a mate to help me carry stuff.

Catherine is my baby, my Prs custom 22 ap.

none of them were named after an actual person, although Michelle doesshare a name with a girl from around the time I bought her, she was not namedafter her/

dude, you just gotta find out what you guitar name thing is...mine is classy lady names...
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 10
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
08/27/2006 2:28 am
My wife refers to mine as "The other woman" and boy is she!! She's a Godin exit22-s. P.U.s are ssh. I like playing blues and classic rock, it handles anything from Clapton to Boston, but with just the humbucker on you can go toe to toe with any metal axe out there. Great mid priced guitar 499.00 list, got mine on sale for 399.00. Ebay has them sometimes for as little as 289.00.
If I were you, I'd name after the nastiest chick you ever met, or had (you know, the kind with short skirts, no underwear and cuss like sailors). Or you could just name her after your wife or girlfriend's sister.
# 11
Krunek
Krunek
08/27/2006 8:22 am
Or you could just name her after your wife or girlfriend's sister.[/QUOTE]

Trying to get a guy in trouble here, heh, Jack? ;) :D
# 12
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
08/27/2006 1:05 pm
I certainly hope not. I just happen to have a wife with a sense of humor (rather, she just tolerates my ADHD type joking and antics, in public and private). I'm tellin you, I definately married way up out of my league. Unfortunately, my son is a carbon copy of me. Now I've got to find him a lefty guitar. Dig it, a 14 year old who likes Clapton, SRV, and classic rock. Maybe he'll name it "Brittany" or "Paris". How NASTY is that!!!
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.