Correct Practice

guitarboy313
guitarboy313
08/16/2006 6:46 pm
There is no correct practice, practice what you want like songs mix it up. Don't listen to people saying you got to do all these stupid ass things like scales first then chords then 1 verse of a song and then 1 verse from another song. I practice what I want when I want and I play great.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything is over rated except guitars drums basses and pianos.[/FONT]
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/16/2006 7:21 pm
Hmmmmm :confused:

I beleive Mark Pav posted a good article (something he wrote if I am correct about this) .... couldn't find it. Can anyone post the link?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
lilifield
lilifield
08/17/2006 8:22 am
I agree with you guitarboy. It's all a matter of personal preferance, especially if one isn't necessarily learning the guitar for the sake of becomming the next Metallica.

According to some, there seems to be a thousand-and-one things you should know about Music before you should ever pick up a guitar to play. How overwhelming for someone that's just starting out to play for the sheer joy of it. Memorizing basic chords, memorizing how they sound, and learning to reading tablature is enough work in itself for a beginner.

Later on, when you want to write your own songs then study "theory" and rocket science.

A baby decides one day that it's going to try to walk. It manages to pull itself up by the sofa and stands for the very first time. The parents smile and say to the baby "now that you can stand up, you must go to college". :p
# 3
ren
ren
08/17/2006 10:05 am
I agree that there is no single 'correct' practice regime, but I think you underestimate the value of scales / harmony / theory in general. It is also a gradual process.

Whilst you can learn other people's songs (and that's cool too to keep you motivated), without some understanding of the underlying principles you'll struggle to make your own music, unless you 'understand it without understanding' as some people do - they recognise how things should sound, even though they couldn't explain why - nothing wrong with that.

As long as what you want to practice keeps pushing you, you're going to improve - whatever keeps you playing. It is important to focus on practicing things you struggle with, and human nature makes it easier to repeat things you find simple, which will not help you improve (much anyway).

Don't be down on theory though...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/17/2006 4:43 pm
Originally Posted by: jimmy_kwtxI beleive Mark Pav posted a good article (something he wrote if I am correct about this) .... couldn't find it. Can anyone post the link?

Hmm. Don't think it was me. I may have posted a comment in a thread about it, but I haven't submitted or linked to any articles yet. I'm still writing 'em! ;)

I know Tom Hess posted an article a few weeks ago about practicing for speed. That's the only one I can think of that's close to this topic.
# 5
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/17/2006 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Mark PavHmm. Don't think it was me. I may have posted a comment in a thread about it, but I haven't submitted or linked to any articles yet. I'm still writing 'em! ;)

I know Tom Hess posted an article a few weeks ago about practicing for speed. That's the only one I can think of that's close to this topic.

Sorry about that. Did a search and it was this post by Mike_Phillippov "Practice Efficiency". Right Initials but wrong guy. Sorry about that memory is the first to go. :eek:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/17/2006 11:50 pm
There's something to be said for an organized practice schedule. By the same token though, if all you're doing is running scales, modes...etc, it can get a little dry. I've tried to mix it up. Do some of the things that I find a little dull and then I throw some things in that I like to do...It seems to keep me moving.

I'm trying to learn a new technique or chord or something every month. That's my challenge. And then when I practice, I have to go back through and keep working at the stuff I've already been doing.

I dunno. It seems to be working for me. I guess it's a matter of preference.

(As far as theory; I find myself trying to learn it because it just seems so inconcievable to me. I love a challenge).
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
08/19/2006 11:20 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraEgo.

I agree that there is no "correct" way to practice, I do however think that "stupid ass things like scales and chords" are important to your growth as a musician.

agreed definitly.

um i think its important you or your teacher set yourself goals. otherise you do what i am doin now that i lost my teacher and just piss about, just playin stuff i can already play and not progressin as a guitarest. i need to set myself goal like my instructor used to, but i find this hard.

ow well
# 8
Fret spider
Fret spider
08/19/2006 11:41 am
thanks akira thats good stuff.

um any other books u recomend?
# 9
Fret spider
Fret spider
08/20/2006 11:40 am
thanx again
# 10
ren
ren
08/21/2006 12:23 pm
Those books are good - also recommend 'Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar' by Troy Stetina, and 'The Advancing guitarist' by Mick Goodrick. The Goodrick book is brilliant, not least because it only has notation, no tab - a good reason to learn to read music. It'll keep you going for ages...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.