OLGA.net

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
08/16/2006 3:43 pm
Olga has been down for quite some time now. They are now posting the exact reasons for being down including the letter from the lawyers.

It is a sad case when freely transcribbed music is subject to the same prosecution that is happening with music sharring. Especially when 90% of what is on OLGA is not perfectly correct anyhow!

I for one have no issue with copyright lawsuits when the cases are clearly a case of stolen works. However when the music industry as a whole adopts a stance that they control all work regardless of how its obtained I take objection. Musicians themselves have recorded, sold and profited from music that they themselves agree was a mistake (Eddie Van Halens Eruption is a classic example). Then they play that same music in an altered state either correctly or incorrectly. If they state that it is still their music then I would have to take objection. How many notes in a composition have to be identical to be THEIR work?

Now lets also take into consideration that fact that most guitarists/musicians I know have a ENORMOUS collection of cd's, dvd's, books, and general music parifinalia than most non musically inclined teeny boppers who steal britney spears crap off the net. Why then go after us as a group who supports the industry more than anyone else?

More and more I find myself wanting to no longer buy and support musicians because of the stances taken by the RIAA, NMPA, and MPA and the rest of their ilk! The sad thing is the musicians get a penance of the profits that these groups BLEED from them. Yet they as a group support this kind of prosecution.

I realize this RANT will not solve anything. It will not improve the situation but for crying out loud! ENOUGH already!

Please note: I DO NOT support file sharring. This is not a file sharring issue. This is a transcription (hours of work by some guy/gal in his house) hammering out a solo or rhythem part for the rest of us to use to improve our skills at the art of music. Most if not all tabs expressly state that they transcribed it themselves and the author is given credit (NO DIFFERENT than using the work for college courses which is legal).

Overall I am confused and MIFFED OFF!

Peace
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 1
ren
ren
08/16/2006 3:54 pm
It's all just money. Who's gonna buy tab books if you can get it on the net for free? As you say, the inaccuracy of internet tab is the only thing that ever kept the printer in business.

Just go to any of the number of russian hosted sites where tab is still freely available. It's not going to change, I would imagine that it'll get tighter if anything. The only angle I understand on it is the protection of intellectual property - it would p*ss me off if someone took one of my songs, tabbed it wrong and put it on the internet.

I'd like someone out there to put together an iTunes style tab solution that would allow you to download individual tracks for a few pence/cents/whatever. You almost always only want a track or two, which is why you don't buy the book.

A more optimistic way to view it would be it finally pushes this generation of lazy 'musicians' to develop their ear and transcription skills.... I think the tab sites have made it too easy to play other people's material but as a consequence there are fewer 'artists' emerging....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/16/2006 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspA more optimistic way to view it would be it finally pushes this generation of lazy 'musicians' to develop their ear and transcription skills.... I think the tab sites have made it too easy to play other people's material but as a consequence there are fewer 'artists' emerging....

That's exactly what I was going to say. I think it's a shame transcription sites are going in the crapper, but on the other hand, maybe it'll give me a reason to actually become a musician.
# 3
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
08/16/2006 5:55 pm
:rolleyes: Here we go again...:)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.