Which guitar?

ROCK ON
ROCK ON
08/16/2006 2:55 pm
Hey. Im buying a new guitar and was just wondering which models anyone here likes or recommends.my budget is probably £700 max. thanks
# 1
ren
ren
08/16/2006 3:29 pm
you might need to narrow it down a bit aside from cost - what style(s) do you play? Fixed Bridge or trem? Pickup preference?

I should be asking Ibanez for an endorsement at this rate, but I'd always say Ibanez really. At about £700 you could negotiate a new JS1000, or a used 1200 - not much difference really. They are 22 fret not 24 if that's a problem, and obviously have edge trems which may not be your bag. It's the best guitar I own, and I have a few :D . If you imported from the US, you could get all sorts, but lose the ability to try before you buy.

Serious advice would be to go to a shop and play every guitar you can afford, and choose based on what you feel / hear. Guitars are a decision led by the heart, not the head.... and opinions are probably of little use.

That said, go buy a JS man! If nothing else, you should definitely put it on your list of gear to try....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
aschleman
aschleman
08/16/2006 4:09 pm
The JS series guitars are good guitars... I owned a JS100.... I sold it because I never played it though. I'm not much on FR style trem guitars... But it would be a lot easier for us to give you advice on what kind of gear you're looking at if you let us know what type of stuff you like to play or what kind of music you like the most...

Strats and Les Pauls are pretty much all around guitars... Your Ibanez, ESP, Jacksons, and such are more for metal or shred type stuff... If you're looking for a more cultured, all around guitar with a lot of history... go for a Strat or Les Paul... I personally will never by a Gibson... maybe an Epiphone... but not a Gibson... Not saying they're not beautiful guitars... I would never spend more than 1200 USD on a Gibson when I can spend 1500 USD and get a PRS Single Cut.

Like ^^^ he said... Go check out a bunch of guitars at the local shop. And let us know what kind of music you're into. What we like may not be what you like.... and vice versa
# 3
ROCK ON
ROCK ON
08/16/2006 5:04 pm
oh yeah sorry guys. i'm a blues rock kind player. I favour guitars with trems but not the locking type. One of the main issues i have with guitars is the weight (eg. i find les pauls too heavy when gigging). I like guitars like the Ibanez sz720qm mainly because of the tone, versatility and really cool fretboard inlays. hope that gives you a bit more a guideline
# 4
ROCK ON
ROCK ON
08/16/2006 5:52 pm
oh yeah sorry guys. i'm a blues rock kind player. I favour guitars with trems but not the locking type. One of the main issues i have with guitars is the weight (eg. i find les pauls too heavy when gigging). I like guitars like the Ibanez sz720qm mainly because of the tone, versatility and really cool fretboard inlays. hope that gives you a bit more a guideline
# 5
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
08/16/2006 7:08 pm
For that money I'd probably go for an Agile and replace the pickups with Bare Knuckles. And I'd still have money left over! :D
# 6
Krunek
Krunek
08/17/2006 4:42 am
Originally Posted by: ROCK ONoh yeah sorry guys. i'm a blues rock kind player. I favour guitars with trems but not the locking type. One of the main issues i have with guitars is the weight (eg. i find les pauls too heavy when gigging). I like guitars like the Ibanez sz720qm mainly because of the tone, versatility and really cool fretboard inlays. hope that gives you a bit more a guideline

Uhm, I really don"t know that much about guitars, but... If you are a blues
rock type of player? For that kind of money, i think you could get a used strat. That would be the thing for you. Get one with a SSH configuration,
so you could get some kick out of it if you play rock. And they are not to heavy, either. Very versatile. Especially if you find one with good pups, like say, tex mex single coils and atomic humbucker. Or something like that.And don"t bother yourself with things like fretboard inlays.
It is the tone that matters. And the advice the other guys gave you about going to the shop and testing a few guitars is excellent.
Hope this helps a bit. ;)
P.S. Final decision is yours and yours alone...If you like something that hasn"t even been mentioned here, really like it, go for it.
# 7
ren
ren
08/17/2006 8:16 am
Originally Posted by: ROCK ON...One of the main issues i have with guitars is the weight (eg. i find les pauls too heavy when gigging). I like guitars like the Ibanez sz720qm

I'm hearing you on the FR trems, but seriously dude - try a JS. I first looked at them because of the old 'weight while gigging' thing, and I can hardly tell it's there it's so light. The 1200 is available with a fixed bridge as well as I recall.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.