View post (For those about to quit...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
09/14/2006 12:04 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraWhat an awful teacher.

A teacher should never ridicule and should never sit there using the lesson as a time to show off and practice his chops. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. It just bummed me out. I mean, I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who can play. But dag, when I'm paying for lessons, teach. And I agree that a teacher should not ridicule. I mean, even if you don't particularly like the same music I do, that's fine, but still, don't make me feel like an idiot. I am not a big fan of country music but I still have the utmost respect for people who can play it.

And Z:

"Fair point(s)... Hunter, I don't know where in the world you are, but if you or anyone else reading is in the UK, I can vouch for the quality of instruction I have received from members of 'The Registry of Guitar Tutors' - they are part of the London College of Music. Link Here

When I take lessons now, I ask the tutor to 'show off' so as to determine whether he is in a position to teach me anything, but I understand how it wasn't helpful in your situation.

If you're in the UK and in need of tuition, you could do worse than the registry.... All the guys I have had lessons with are pros, some jazz, some classical, some shred... I like to keep moving forward and after 20 years playing I still need a kick up the ass now and again...."

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. I wish I were in the UK or NY or well, just about anywhere else...But thanks for the words. Appreciate it. I guess I'll just keep trying to learn on my own and keep searching for my guitar 'Yoda'. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]