View post (For those about to quit...)

View thread

tallrocker
tallrocker
08/18/2006 6:24 pm
I'm glad to hear you aren't quitting. But if you ever do consider it again, just stop, pick up the guitar, and play whatever comes to your mind. When you improvise and let the music just flow through you it almost takes you into another dimension or something. An example of this- once when I was playing i was laying back in my chair and I fell asleep, but when I woke up, I was still playing. I don't know how this is possible. I must not have been asleep for that long. Anyway, improvising not only feels great but it also helps you get acquainted with the guitar faster. I mean, I've only been playing for about 9 months and I can already play almost anything I want, as long as it isn't too fast. When you know how the notes on a guitar will sound before you play them, you almost don't even have to learn a song to play it. I would say that it's good to learn scales, but only if you want to. I would learn pentatonic scales, and later, figure out by yourself(it's important to do it with your own ears) where all the other notes of that scale are on the fretboard. But you probably will want to learn an easy song first to keep you interested. My first song was Woo Hoo by the 5,6,7,8's.

My post may have been pointless since you are already not quitting, but I'll post it anyway.