View post (Ibanez JS1200)

View thread

EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
08/14/2006 11:44 am
I went to 11-48's years ago on all my Strats cause I was looking for a bigger tone from bigger strings. Not quite SRV or Dick Dale gauges but the bigger strings did sound way better than 10's or 9's.

When you hit an open E string on bigger strings, you get a nice solid bonk from the string.
With floating bridges and bigger strings, you get a way more solid pivot point.

I noticed that with the 10's on the JS1200ca that if you hit strings hard like I do, I was getting that garling noise caused by the floating trem.

As soon as I got the guitar set up for 11-48 I noticed the bridge was way more solid feeling. I didn't tend to wander and warble anymore. Now, when I grab the trem arm and do subtle vibrato's, I get a better vibrato. With 10's, it was too easy to over bend the arm and get an exagerated vibrato.

Like I said above, palm muting is way more stable.

I am not sure how much difference the big strings make when you are using totally distorted high gain tone but clean tones are way better on bigger strings.
I am sure it must translate over to better all around tone if the clean tones are better.

As far as unforgiving, not sure what they mean but with the bigger strings, you have better resistance when making notes. I like the feel of a guitar string that makes you dig in and play the note hard.
I would think that it would be easier with 9's to overbend and get sloppy notes than with the bigger strings.

I only had the 10's on the Ibanez for about a month before I went up to 11's. The guitar feels way better to me now with 11's but that's what I have beeen playing for so long, that's what I am used to.