Gene Simmons Family Jewels

jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/09/2006 3:30 pm
Did any one catch the show Gene Simmons Family Jewels?

There is one musician I have to admire for making no bones about KISS being a [U]bussiness[/U] not just a band.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/09/2006 4:25 pm
I was suprised to see he wasn't as arrogant and big mouthed as he's always appeared over the years in interviews. The perception I always had of him was that he was a big mouthed hotshot who was a little too high on himself.
After seeing the show though, he seems normal enough... and his kids seem to have turned out ok & have a good sense of humour.
# 2
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/09/2006 4:29 pm
The Osbounes they are not. But I agree with you opn the past interveiws and such. What really got me turnd around was the VH-1 show "Rock School?" he seemed more mellow, still arrogant (but that's just Gene), but I was impressed with his passion about rock n roll and how it is and should be an accepted form of study musically and hwo he also stressed the businessaspect of it.

+1 to Gene. and I 'll catch a couple of more shows before I decide if i is some thingI want to keep up with.

# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/09/2006 5:29 pm
Well, lets face it... music is a business just like any other.
And to give the guy cred.. he's a master at promotion, gimmicks, advertising etc...etc...
About the only reason I'd continue to watch the show is to get more insights into the music business.
I mean, look at his son and that whole promotion thing with the airplane.
You've got a young guy who has a basic garage band just like any other kids.
But with a little money behind you and a famous father, you can get a huge gig with tons of publicity, fans and media.
His son could become the next 'star' and it would have absolutely nothing to do with whether he was any good or not.
It's all in the name of the band, the image, the publicity, the exposure etc etc...

It's kinda sad in a way. There's real talent out there that never gets a chance because they don't have the same advantages. And most kids who only listen to music through their iPods can't tell a good musician from a bad one. It's all about who's cool to listen to and who's poster looks good on your bedroom wall.
Which is kinda what Kiss was all about. My younger brother was totally into Kiss. Like I'm talking posters plastered around his bedroom and total dedication to the band.
I remember telling him that some day he'll grow up and realize that the whole thing is just a gimmick and you'll end up laughing at yourself.
Sure enough, about 10 years later he admitted I was right.
He finally realized that Kiss wasn't that great... it was just a media blitz of publicity coupled with simple rock songs and the gimmick of makeup with the whole mystery of who they really were.
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
08/09/2006 6:12 pm
Amen. Though I still would love to hang with him and "intern" for at least a month to be a sponge and pick his brains over.

His son thing just reminds me more of the Ashlee, Paris, Hogan, Lil Oz, and (new one) Spears II epidemic that is sweeping the music scene.

# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/09/2006 6:42 pm
Yeah... on the one hand, you feel like he's lucky to have what he has...
on the other hand... it's a curse.... he'll forever be known as Gene Simmons son... the wannabe rock star trying to emulate his fathers success.

Who knows. Let's just say that if the guy really has talent, all that other crap wont' matter.
If he's one of many typical garage musicians who's trying to make it through money and advertising.... that'll show too.

In the end... some of the crap gets through and becomes famous... but real musicians know who the real musicians with talent are and the whole thing is about respect and admiration for your abilities.
You might make it based on the glitz and glamour, but 40 years from now... will you be respected for your talent?
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
08/10/2006 4:45 am
i have no problems with kiss being a business...but i still think gene simmons is very slimey and has a used car dealer kind of presence around him....
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.