Keeping Tremolo System in Tune

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
08/05/2006 5:14 pm
I've done a search and haven't really found what I've been looking for, so...

I've got the OLP Petrucci with a non-locking floating trem.>REVIEW/DESCRIPTION<

Just wondering what tricks you all use to keep your trems in tune. I don't want to replace the system or anything, so are the certain points in the system you can lubricate or file to retain a tune?

Any and all help is appreciated.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/05/2006 6:20 pm
I've never used one, but I know some people who use a >Hipshot Tremsetter< with their guitars, and don't have any tuning problems.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
EL34XYZ
Pipelayers local 309
08/05/2006 6:22 pm
Floating trems can be a real pain to dial in sometimes.

I have an Ibanez JS1200CA that I just changed string gauges up to 11-48. I had to add another spring and set the trem up again. It took a while cause I added a spring and had to re-set everything including the bridge height/string height and intonation.
The guy that set my Ibanez up originally with 10's has some cool tricks for Ibanez/floyd bridges. See the link below.

Years ago I set up my Kahler Fender jap strat that was having problems.
The biggest problem was that the knife edges on the bridge were not riding in a nice groove on the body studs.

The studs on the body and the knife edges must act together like a very precise hinge. If the studs let the knife edges wander up and down in the stud groove, the trem will not stay in tune. If the the knife edges stay in one spot on the stud groove the trem will work properly.

I had to chuck my studs up in a lathe and regroove them properly on the Fender and it has worked perfectly since 1990.

See the page below on what this guy has to say about the whole deal. There's a bunch of info about trems on Rich's site.

Ibanez rules setup page
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.