View post (holding a pic)

View thread

Fret spider
Fret spider
08/02/2006 2:29 pm
as aschleman says its a mater of personall preference
but i will tell u how i hold my pick. i dont do it the same way as doc simon, i dunno if this is good or bad, but thats me.

i will try to explain

make it so your hand is flat, eg no joints are bent. now u have three digits in your finger, im sure u notice :D . lets call them joint1, 2 and 3 where 1 is the one closeest to your wrist and 3 is the one closest to the finger tip.

ok so keep ur first finger staight. now keep the first joint straight. (roughly strainght, not completely, mine bends a bit) bend the second joint 90 degrees and the third joint 90 degrees. using your left hand place the pick against the finger so that the point of the pick is perpendicular to the nail. the pick should lie flat against the digit that goes from joit 3 to the finger tip and between joint 2 and 3. now the top of the pick, the bit that is furthest from the pointy bit should push slightly into the flesh of the digit that goes from joint 2 to 1. now place the thumb onto the pick. the thumb should be rufly paralel to the digit from joints 1 to 2. thats about it. i try to kepp only a tiny bit of the pick showing, i measure it 3 milimeters. but if you find this hard increse the amount showing. it is helpful to only show a little of the pick cos it stops u digging the pick in to much and it meens u dont have to ajust the pick position to do pinch harmonics, but i m sure that is a lesson fro another day.

anyway i like this position as i dont dig the thumb in. it takes no adjustment to do plam muting, or harmonics. to mee it feels i have a good grip on the pick without tightening my grasp on the pick too much. i find it also very acurate as finger movement doesnt occur and all the movment comes from te wrist. (but i might just find it stable and scurate cos i have practiced with it).

also it allows ur palm to get very close to the strings when playing lead, which i find useful as it helps with damping unwanted strings . but this is getting on to picking. i guess. need any other tips give me a buzz