View post (Changing keys within a song)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
08/26/2006 8:42 am
Originally Posted by: niccar113well, most of what can be said about how to change keys within a song has been said, but for good practice try these two pieces...

"Blue Bossa"- (suggested version by Pat Martino), which has a moderate but noticable key change at the start of the ninth measure of the melody

"I Love Paris"- (suggested version by Louis Armstront), which has a very noticable key change at the start of the twenty-fifth measure of the melody

for more practice, i would suggest getting "The Real Book", quite possibly the greatest collection of jazz pieces ever culminated and transcribed for guitar... Blue Bossa and I Love Paris are both in there, along with many others that have significant key changes to check out

I am not much into jazz, but an example of the key changes from the songs you mentioned would work for study. Do you know the sequences of the notes in the measures noted above? If so, if you dont mind write the notes in order of play along with string numbers. Those interested could get a basic grasp of your suggestion this way if their like me not able to locate the songs your talking about.
I myself would like to try applying these techniques to metal, and hard rock applications. Jazzing up my metal, I dont know,worth a try.