Flextone II Plus

sgregg
sgregg
07/28/2006 10:05 pm
I have a Flextone II Plus with the 1x12" Line 6 speaker. I think it sounds like it is missing something. I was thinking of putting in a Celestion. Will this help?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/29/2006 1:34 am
I may need Nomex knickers after this one: :rolleyes:

Celestion speakers are generally designed to 'interpret' what comes out of an amp. Different models have differently-shaped frequency responses, and different levels of compression and breakup.

All of which can allow a player to get a particular kind of sound out of their [u]tube[/u] amp. Which a Flextone II is just modelling wannabe.

What you need, is a very wide, flat, frequecy response, with no distorting breakup. The same kind of speaker you would choose for a stereo system. Any speaker that adds its own character to the sound is going to reduce the accuracy of all those amp models that you paid for.

Mind you, your "sounds like its missing something" complaint may simply be due to the fact that you're playing a modelling amp instead of the real thing. (In the opinion of a cranky ol' bastard, of course). :cool:

My recommendation - a Weber 12" California with a ceramic magnet and a paper voice coil dome. It will handle amazing amounts of power without colouring the sound or distorting. I use a 15" Cali in my Ampeg combo, so I can vouch for the design from personal experience. I love what my amp can do, and the California brings it all out clearly, instead of 'interpreting'' it for me.

Don't bother with Celestions until you get one of the Marshall, Vox, or Hiwatt tube amps that those speakers were designed for.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
sgregg
sgregg
07/29/2006 2:44 am
Thanks. Glad I asked. Also, I think the next amp I buy will be a tube amp.
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/29/2006 6:42 pm
Not sure what to tell you, since the stock speaker is designed to be flat so that it represents the amp and cab models accurately. But, that's not to say there aren't better choices out there. Eminence makes a speaker designed for modeling amps that might go better with your amp than the stock speaker. This might, however, be the exact same speaker that is in your amp. A lot of manufacturers will use eminence speakers and relable them. You might also want to look into an Eminence Delta Pro. This speaker is similar to the discontinued EV12M (not sure if that's exactly right) that was worshiped by some.

I'm not tying to pull you away from Lats' choice of speaker, just giving you some more options.

One more thing you might want to try is, use an EQ unit in the amps effects loop. Check out the line 6 forum. There are several tricks like this that people use to get the best out of their modeling gear.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/30/2006 3:48 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplaya... I'm not tying to pull you away from Lats' choice of speaker, just giving you some more options. ...

Jezz, anybody would think I had a temper or something. :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/30/2006 11:18 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsJezz, anybody would think I had a temper or something. :rolleyes:

Well in that case.....the hell with LATS' and PRS' idea.. :p ....get a Alpine ZR series speaker.

P.S. Don't listen to me, I'm a tard. :) You know how there are warmongers? Well these guys are tonemongers. They monger tone. They won't steer you wrong.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/30/2006 2:40 pm
Got a link?

Are these the same people that make Alpine stereo gear?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/30/2006 2:42 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsGot a link?

Are these the same people that make Alpine stereo gear?

Yeah, I don't think any of the speakers they make would be suitable for guitar use but hey like I said, I'm a tard. If you wanna look into it though.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.