Genz Benz El Diablo vs. Peavey Triple XXX or JSX

RuinedGod
RuinedGod
07/27/2006 3:16 pm
What is all your guys's input on this matter, imstuck between on which amp to buy in this price range.
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
07/27/2006 3:47 pm
Hm... the Genz Benz amps are top notch... as are the Peavy's... You have to look at a few things...

The Diablo is more of a hot rodded classic tube amp... I've never played one but I've read up on them. High quality amps... Good for a lot of different styles from Blues to Metal... These amps are closer to the quality and performance of a Mesa Boogie than any mass produced brand (Marshall, Peavy, Fender...etc.)

The XXX is about the same way... Versatile amp. Mainly built for hard rock or metal... Still gets great blues tone with the right guitar and effects. Great quality and a well known amp...

The JSX... Well... it's obviously an amp built for modern tones. Not going to give you a great blues tone right out of the box but it will cover just about every other tone very well... Even with the ability to switch from solid state circuitry to tube circuitry... giving it that much more versatility. Most people wouldn't want to switch from tube to solid state... But if you're a metal guitarist and you find your tone getting saturated too much and you can't hear all your high notes or they lack definition... that's when you'd switch circuitry without having to add a pedal to bring out the highs or tweak your treble all the time..... So it's a modern amp built for modern music.

Personally... I've been dreaming of a Genz Benz... I own a TubeWorks (Genz Benz bought it and the amps that they make are basically the same as the TubeWorks ones...) it compares pretty closely to the tone of a Marshall JCM or a Mesa Mark IV. I would personally get a Genz Benz out of those three choices. They're all killer amps though. Hope my insight helps a little.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/28/2006 1:16 pm
Adam, the JSX is voiced more towards the classic hard rock tones than the XXX. The JSX's Ultra channel is somewhat similar to the XXX's crunch channel, and the JSX's crunch channel is much more of a "crunch" than the XXX's crunch channel. There is more of a difference between the Ultra and Crunch channels on the JSX than the XXX. I had a XXX (actually 2 of them) and you can make it's Crunch channel sound exactly like the Ultra channel, and vise versa. Also, I've never heard about the tube/ss circuitry switching in the JSX :confused: that's a new one on me.
Originally Posted by: From Peavey's website on the JSXThis amp delivers sounds ranging from the Classic 50 to vintage British to the modern Triple XXX and all tones inbetween.

Also, depending on what type of tone you're going after, don't forget about the 5150/6505. Don't let anybody fool you into thinking that it is a one trick pony. I've got a 5150 combo, and can create just about any tone I want with it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
07/28/2006 1:31 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaAlso, I've never heard about the tube/ss circuitry switching in the JSX :confused: that's a new one on me.

Hm... As I look at the consumer version of the JSX... I see that it doesn't have that feature. I think I just assumed since one of Satchs stage JSX has a switchable circuitry... so would the consumer model but it appears I'm wrong. The consumer model of the JSX has switchable TUBE circuitry that allows you to switch the power channel between 6L6 and EL34 tubes... I believe... which still adds a great deal of versatility...

The reason I got confused was because my friend James got VIP tix to the Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson concert at the House of Blues in Chicago... I posted awhile back and told everyone about it.... But he said the guy that he was with, Eric Johnsons producer, was telling him about Satchs JSX because my friend asked him what amps he recommended for recording... So that's where I got my info. I don't normally repeat source through source information like that... But I figured Johnsons producer and my friend are both pretty knowledgable... haha. So sorry for that confusion and thanks to PRS for the correction.

I still say GENZ BENZ... PRS is obviously a little biased... haha! I would love to have a XXX, a JSX (with switchable tube circuitry), or a Genz Benz... but I'm afraid it would sit in the corner and cry while my JCM 900 got all the attention... haha. I love it.
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/28/2006 1:39 pm
I've never played a Genz Benz, so I don't really have an opinion on them, but yes... I am quite biased towards PV :cool:

The switchable tube circuitryis a very useful tone tool. The XXX has this as well. But, to be able to really bennafit from it, you really need to be able to crank the amp to get the power tubes kicking. EL34's and 6L6's both sound great in the amp, with the 6L6's giving it a more modern high gain tone, and the EL34's giving it a more midrange focused british type high gain tone.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.