View post (Bad Guitars)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/27/2006 5:27 pm
I think this thread is going to be slightly misleading to beginners...

An entry level guitar is just that... and it should be taken as such. Entry level guitars are designed for, nor should they be used for professional recordings or extended use into the late stages of someones musical career. Their main purpose is to simple give a beginner a basic instrument to learn the basic principles of playing a guitar. They're not meant to be played on stages and withstand the rigours of touring.

With that said... If you're buying an enrty level guitar (~$200 or less)... Remember these few things. Most all information that you read about a musical instrument is someones opinion. Obviously, someone who has been around a lot of guitars and plays guitar everyday has an opinion that is weighted much more than someone who has never touched a guitar. I encourage anyone that is getting into music to go to a music shop and pick up the guitar that you want to purchase. Even if you don't know how to play it. Pick it up, hold it... Strum the strings. If it sounds good to you, then there you go. It doesn't really matter what someone else thinks.

The common misconception about entry level guitars is that they should sound as good as a higher priced instrument or be as well built. Those are unreal expectations. There are better built and better sounding guitars within the entry level price range... but they still are going to sound and be built like entry level guitars. Wood, hardware, and labor all cost money to manufacturers... The more workmanship, better hardware, and better woods that are put into a guitar... the more it will cost... and the same goes for the less you spend. A cheap guitar will be made cheap.

Manufacturers like Squire, Epiphone, Oscar Schmidt, and Applause... among others are usually the safeest bet for a decent guitar at an entry level price... Why you ask? Well... they're made by companies who make guitars in large quantities. They can make guitars for less. Therefore they can put better components into the guitars... and sell them for less than a smaller manufacturer can. A Squire Strat will always remain as my number one choice for a beginning guitar players first electric guitar... as will a Squire acoustic. These instruments are worth what you pay for them. They don't get killer tone... but they're perfect for a young, or old, guitarist to cut their teeth on. You should expect a guitar like this to last you about 6-10 months before you should move on to a higher priced instrument and you should be proficient at playing guitar by that time. A lot of times people invest in an entry level guitar and don't stick with it... Or end up spendinga ton of money on a nice guitar and never gte use out of it... or don't even know how to play it.

I've owned a lot of guitars cheap and expensive... my friends and I have an extenxive collection in our studio... However, at the age of 22 I can't compare my time of experience with Andrew... I just think that everyone should understand that entry level guitars aren't suppose to be instruments that you buy and never have to buy another guitar because they're so outstanding. In the music world... much like any other industry... you get what you pay for.

Hope that clears some of that up.