Two 2x12 combos as opposed to a half stack.

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
07/27/2006 4:22 am
Okay... let's get hypothetical here.

In this corner, we have not one but two Peavey Valveking 2x12 combo amps, clocking in at 100 watts apiece.

And, in the other corner, we have a Peavey Valveking head, weighing in at 100 watts altogether, driving the 4x12 cab that goes with it.

Now, if the head amp on the one hand and the two combo amps and the other (running in tandem via a Y-box out of one guitar) are set to precisely identical settings and set up across from each other in the same room, which setup will have more b@ll$? What differences, if any, will there be?

Let's say that it's one guitarist (some renowned A-list studio pro) trying out both setups (so there will be no skill or technique difference at all) and that he's using the same guitar (let's say... a normal off-the-shelf $1,400 Les Paul) to test out both rigs.

So then whaddya get?

To subdivide it any more, what would be the differences for metal (i.e. running Metal Master pedals through everything), blues, Ywngie-style soloing, jazz picking, and whatever the heck else?

Any differences at all? Whatsoever?

I have become absolutely obsessed with the idea of running one guitar through two or more amps, ever since I read about SRV and others (e.g. Keith Richards) having one amp for dirty and another amp for clean, and so on and so forth. Also, a few months ago I saw a live band where the guitarist had a setup just like that... and I nearly wet myself. :o

Since I would have two (or more) very different tones coming out of the two (or more) amps, I guess that would make the above question moot for me... but I just have to wonder!!!

I am primarily a bassist, far far more than anything else when it comes to music... and I'm looking into doing it for that, too. I'm formulating a set-up that involves twin stacks on either side of the drum platform that would make Lemmy sh** his pants but that would satisfy (and maybe even amaze!) at least a few anal tone geeks over in the jazz fusion/prog rock world.
# 1
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
07/27/2006 4:24 am
Oh, and when I get the two 2x12s, I would put them side-by-side as opposed to one atop the other.

Second big question of this thread that I've started: what would the difference be then? I mean, as far as the audience is concerned... or the studio engineer. Versus the two amps stacked vertically and versus the half stack version.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/27/2006 2:30 pm
A/B setups allow you to optimise for different tones. Fender amp for clean and a Marshall for crunch for instance.

As for a pair of 2x12" vs. one 4x12", a lot depends on the speakers. Two identical amps running together will only sound a bit louder than one amp. Hearing is a logarithmic function, and doubling the power does [u]not[/u] double tha apparent loudness. The increase would be 3dB, which is commonly accepted as the minimum readily perceptible loudness change. If the 4x12" cab had more effficient speakers in it, one amp could be much louder than a pair of 2x12" combos.

Horizontal placement vs. stacks: Speakers placed near the floor will propagate low frequecies better. And take up more floor space. Speakers placed at the player's ear level will produce hearing problems in said player. Either way, the sound man will probably insist on micing just one speaker, and shutting the rest off.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/27/2006 2:52 pm
Another thing to keep in mind... open back cabinets, like the Valveking 2x12, are less efficient on the low end, and tend to get a little flabby at high volumes. Where as, closed back cabs, like the 4x12, handle the low end better, and will tend to be a bit punchier at higher volumes. Also, with the open back cabs, the sound is spread out more evenly (the sound is coming from the front and back, therefor, it is more 3 dimensional), and closed back cabs are usually very directional (standing to the side of the cab, and directly in front of the cab sounds completely different). Either way you look at it, the stock Valveking speakers are pretty much crap in my opinion and experience.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.