View post (Retrofitting a hardtail for a Kahler or Bigsby)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
07/27/2006 5:50 am
Allow me to piggyback a related question here.

I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose and I hate it. My preferred string gauge is 13-56. A FR generally has three springs. To tune above C#, which is not but one whole step above a baritone , requires not three but five of the beefiest springs that can be installed for a FR. But that's not why I hate it. Oh no... see below.

Would the Kahler have the same problem? Would they have to torque it up to handle my 13-56 strings? Or would it scoff at my 13s like I'm hoping it would? I know Kahler makes trems for bass guitars , so they must be pretty dang heavy duty in general.

Also, aside from how the FR smothers my tone like a schizophrenic taking out his sleeping girlfriend with a pillow after the voices tell him she's the anti-christ's cousin, I hate how much of a pain-in-the-@$$ it is to set up and string!

How are Kahlers in that regard, in terms of the P.I.T.A. factor? I'm just wondering, because even if it was worse I would still want one, from all that I've seen and heard.

Basically, the guys from Slayer absolutely adore Kahlers, and they utterly despise the Floyd Rose more than they do religion. I know I sure as hell hate the FR with as much passion as they do, so I'm estimating that there's a 98% probability that I will love the Kahler as much as they do.

Ohhhhh... I want one so badly it keeps me up at night!!! :(

Well, lots of things keep me up at night... but you get the picture.