Bluesy guitar on a budget

polansky
polansky
07/24/2006 9:37 pm
Ok, I'm getting a bit moshy here cause I would like to get a guitar that has this kind of old woody tone, but at the same time I would like to get a non expensive guitar to practice at job (I get kind of nervous taking the underground with my 7 string) so I guess...well...mmm...

OK, OK a strat passed trough my mind (belive me I DON'T LIKE STRATS OR LES PAULS and stuff like that) but the point is...well... you gotta have the right tool for the job.

The thing is I was thinking maybe a squier... you know...plain and simple... I don't have anything with singlecoils, just powerfull and allmighty humbuckers cause metal is my thing but, who doesn't want a fat dirty bluesy sound from time to time?

If you happend to know any options or recomendations bout the squier stuff, let me know, just guidelines (don't bother bout references like on-line stores cause they don't do shipments to Mexico and if they do, the shimpment probably would coast more than the guitar we are talking bout).

Do you think I could get something round the $250 tag price?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/25/2006 2:24 am
Squier Strat. Don't take my word for it - looky >here<.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
07/25/2006 11:13 am
+1

Believe it or not... Squire Strats get a decent vintage tone... They tend to mimic the very early Strats thin tone. Giving you the ability to get some classic blues tones. Obviously the workmanship and the hardware isn't going to be the highest quality, but that's part of the charm. They're guitars made for low budgets... They're guitars made for blues and classic tones... I think you have yourself a winner... But like LATS said... don't take our word for it. Go check them out. $250 for a Squire is very realistic... you can't get one of the higher end Squires for that much... or even a used Mexican Fender Strat on EBay.
# 3
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
07/27/2006 4:06 am
I have 2 professional guitar player friends and they both like the Turser guitars. I have played several un-amped while hanging around the music store and they seem solid built but like any guitar everyone plays a little different so make sure you play a few before buying. Let us know what you get.
# 4
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
07/27/2006 5:32 am
Many a great bluesmen, just like many a punk and alt-rock pioneer, got their start with cheap pawn shop junk. :cool:
# 5
RuinedGod
RuinedGod
07/27/2006 3:26 pm
The guitar isn't what you have to worry about, it's the amp. A good bluesy amp is hard to find, and if the amp is good enough it can make a good tone out of any guitar, except a first act.
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
07/27/2006 3:36 pm
He's talking about a budget of $250... not $2500. A "good" blues amp is tube driven... you're not going to find a decent tube amp for less than 500 USD in a package that allows you to play live in any setting. I would expect to pay around 1000 USD for a good one.

I'll correct my earlier post... I meant to say CAN rather than CAN'T in my sentence saying "You can't (CAN) get a high end Squire for that much ($250). You might even be able to get a Mexican Fender on EBay for that much"

Indeed.. you can get the best Squire has to offer for around 250 USD.

As far as amps are concerned. It's the last in the tone chain.

Pickups>Effects>Amp

I would work your way down that chain. Start with a guitar that gives you the tone you want... Then get effects that compliment and accent the tone you want... THEN get an amp that brings out all the color and characteristics of the tone you want. That's my advice anyhow...
# 7
polansky
polansky
07/28/2006 3:15 pm
Guys, first of all thanks for the input bout this topic, I'm still checking all the stuff round it. I checked the Turser guitars, the look pretty neat to me, price wise, sounds like a sweet deal, the only thing that bothers me is that Hermes music is the one that brings that brand to Mexico so there is no sure place to find it or how many models the may have (Hermes supplies to almost all the gear to must of the stores in downtown Mexico but they are not very constant on the delivery so it's hard to find them)

Pony, dude I agree I don't like strats either (and let me tell ya, telecasters, man... I'll never get one I REALLY HATE THEM) but thanks for the point anyway.

RuinGod, bout the amp... well I knot it's not the real deal but I have an POD xt LIVE so... I have lot's of amps :D so I think I can squezze a good sound with it.

I'll let you know what I got when I get it, the only problem i'ts that I still can't manage to upload pictures on the forum.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
07/28/2006 3:27 pm
Originally Posted by: polansky

I'll let you know what I got when I get it, the only problem i'ts that I still can't manage to upload pictures on the forum.

Yeah let us know.

Go to www.photobucket.com and get an account... then upload your pics there. If you want to post a pic in the forums, all you have to do is copy and paste the little text box that says "URL" under the image. Copy and paste it into your post. That's how you upload images here... you don't have to use photobucket... any image or media host site should work.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.