Totally Un-Regonized

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/13/2001 2:17 am
Ok I was watching somthing on Metallica and people were talking to a crowd that were waiting/just got done watching a Metallica concert, and a guy said, and I quote "Kirk Hammett is the best guitar player if not that right next to Jimi Hendrix." he said somthing exactly like that. Now im gonna totally argue that. First off Kirk Hammett performed at GIT and him plus other guitarists were doing a Jimi Hendrix Tribute, and he litteraly messed up Henrix's most classic song 'Red House' and made a fool of himself and a mockery of the other guitar players that were playing at the tribute.

My Point is that people are too much Close Minded, they dont even think of buying a album that might be differnt from that of a 'Metallica' album. Or they might be embarressed being seen with a CD that has a guitarist with his shirt off and long hair that could possibly be better then Steve Vai or Jimi Hendrix ect. combined,

Know what im saying?
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/13/2001 4:59 am

I didn't understand that second-to-last sentence, but I guess I know what you're saying. Personally, I think that Hammett is one of the most over-rated guitarists on the planet. Yeah, he has a ring in his nose, and just about everywhere else, but does that make him the best guitarist ever? No.

The problem is that he has the classic "rock and roll image", and he can cram a lot of pointless notes into a measure, so a lot of people who don't know crap about music simply believe that he must be the greatest guitarist of all time.

Know what I'm saying?
# 2
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/13/2001 12:46 pm
Yea man, I know what your saying.

What I meant in teh sentance is that if people are stuck onto just ONE band, and thats all they listen to, Then so many other bands get unregonized. I guess I was saying People wouldnt want to buy another (or differnt) album unless it was like a Metallica album, (cuz thats all they lsiten to).

Know what Im saying
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
08/13/2001 3:22 pm

Ok, LOL, yeah I know what you're saying.

I used to be stuck in that genre myself. Anything that wasn't a 4/4, blues-based 80's rock song was intolerable.

Then I heard Satriani for the first time, and it just blew my mind. He sounded so different, and all his melodies and change-ups were so unexpected.

My music listening habits have never been the same since I went and picked up that copy of the Extremist.

# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/13/2001 10:51 pm
As somebody who just about lives in AIM's Metallica chat, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's kinda miserable to have to be the guy to inform some of those people that Cliff Burton IS NOT the best bassist ever.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/14/2001 1:46 am
yea, i dont dare say someone is the best bass player because I dont know a awhole lot of bass players, but I must say that Les Claypool is a awesome one.
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
08/14/2001 3:25 am
Overall, Jimi Hendrix is probably comsidered the greatest guitarist who has ever graced our land. Simply because this giuys style is almost impossible to emulate. Thids man played from the heart, and there's no telling what he could have accomplished if he was given the chance to let his potential grow. It's true that a lot of people in this world are close minded, but still we all have an opinion, regardless if it's based on fact or fiction. It's amazing how much Jimi Hendrix was able to accoimplish in such little time, but he proved with the right level of motivation you can reach for the stars. What fascinates me the most about Hendrix is that he payed close attention to the music that was going on inside of his head of of what the majority of people wanted to hear at the time. He is truly an inspiration for us all, and for those of us to try our best to emulate his songs note for note, despite that our efforts might lack perfection, it takes a lot of guts...

It's safe to say that we all try to get out there and pay tribute to our favorites, and it's those who aren't afraid to make mistakes, those who aren't afraid to add their own natural abilities that truly shine. I've seen people in night clubs play Hendrix covers almost note for note, but their playing lacked passion, and was rather robotic. I'de rather listen to a sloppy effort, instead of someone who is afraid to set themselves free. Otherwise, they haven't really learned much from their teachers after all..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
08/14/2001 4:23 pm
The thing is though that Hendrix wanted to be regonized as not only a Musican but he really wanted to have been noticied for his Lyrics, a guest speaker I belive at GIT was a friend of Hendrix's at the time, and the last year or so he was alive (if you would have seen any biographys on hendrix) he was extremly depressed, he was like that because he thought as though he failed lyrically. Alot of his songs were about such as "Freedom", "Castles Made of Sand" (tragic stories it seems) "Purple Haze" (I belive it was origianlly "Purple Haze, Jesus Saves" were he was under the sea, surrounded by Purple Haze and Jesus saved him) I mean I could go on about the incredable lyrics he had that practicly i'd say 90% of people didn't even pay attention to untill he died, which was kinda sad...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.