View post (Global Warming Debate)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/10/2006 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderglobal warming is real. i dont think that can be denied. in the uk there used to be a heat wave once every 30 years now it is more like once every 2. we never used to get severe weather now we get floods most years.

now i am sure there are factors that affect this that arnt related to man eg the sun warmin up or watever. (although it actually cools down in its cylce).

but we do contribute. we do afffect it. it is true in the past mother nature did watever the f she wanted but in those days man wasnt nearly as widespread or had anywhere near the level of technology. we are making a large difference.[/quote]
I mostly agree with you.

It is hotter right now. We do, in part, contribute to what's going on.

However, for the last ten or fifteen years, this debate has been completely domineered by anti-globalism activists, sensationalist journalism and by politicians looking for an easy leg-up (censoring music is apparently no longer perceived as a vote-winner in the Gore camp). Here in the US, up until GW Bush was elected, ANYBODY in the scientific community who dared raise objections or concerns with the rhetoric of the global warming alarmists have seen their funding evaporate, their reputations smeared and their careers smashed on the rocks. And that's here -- I can only imagine how it is in the EU for a scientist to speak out against the global warming claims, so to suggest that there has been any legitimate scientific debate over global warming is ridiculous.

Thus, when I see that the scientists who formed the current hypotheses about global warming are the same quacks who turned out to be completely wrong about an impending ice age and that the voices singing dooms day tales about global warming all have political agendas, I'm inclined to be skeptical. I think we all would be wise to be.

It's not that I don't think we should take care of this planet, but if this current rise in global average temperature is 70, 80 or 90 percent natural, then obviously there are a lot of other things we can do to improve this planet which will deliver much more results for the money and effort we invest into them.

[QUOTE=Fret spider]and if its your argument that it happened before so it doesnt matter if it happenes again is silly, i mean when it was a godd deal warmer, eg the time of the dinosaurs.

EG: No, the average global temperature has been scientifically proven to have risen significantly higher significantly faster something like three times since the Last Glacial Maximum. For much of the life of our species, homo sapiens (say nothing of our earlier ancestors), the climate has been much warmer than it is now. Of course, it's also been much, much colder, but the point of it is that the planet and almost every species walking on it right now has survived much warmer climates than we see today.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons