View post (Global Warming Debate)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/24/2006 1:48 pm
Oh global warming... The national trend that has swept the nation... much like the trendy "classic-rock" fads that high schoolers are going through right now. People seem to think that because they watch a television special on National Geographic or the Discovery Channel that they're all the sudden an expert... Not saying that about any one here... Just people in general that wish to debate Global Warming as an issue. There is no television special or internet websites that will give you a completely unbiased opinion on global warming. Depending on where you read the information will depend on what opinion you will have been convinced to believe...

Global warming... what does it mean? The heating of the earths crust and/or atmosphere... which creates drastic changes in habitats and weather patterns around the world.. directly, or indirectly as an affect.

Theory... what does it mean? An educated guess or ideology based on information... NOT scientific evidence.

To me, Global Warming is a natural occurance. One in which numerous environmental agencies are pinning on general industry around the world. Granted, there may be adverse affects from the mass amount of by products our plants omit into the air... To say that it's heating our Earth to the point that it's melting thousands of square miles of ice is absurd... These people clearly forget the fact that our Earths core is in fact a molten ball of lava... sperated by only a few hundred miles of crust... Our planet generates it's own heat... Cracks in the crust of our planet could cause drastic changes in the atmospheric and crust temperatures... They also neglect the fact that we are, in fact, in a solar system that revolves around a constantly burning ball of gas..... thousands of times larger than the Earth. Some say the solar system is expanding... we're going away from the Sun... that... by definition is theory. Whose to say our solar system is not being pulled into the sun... rather than spinning away from it? Whose to say that someday our planet will be too close to the Sun for anything all to survive...? Theories... table top day dreams... I don't even feel like going into the other theories that I've read up on... one in particular the thoughts that the Earth itself is growing........ Which is just as much theory as Global Warming. I'm not negating the theories set forth by others... Simply sharing other equally scientifically possible avenues that the debate can go.

By the way... My team won the debate. I was on the Con side of "Global Warming: Man Made Disaster"

It's all theory, and should be discussed as such.