View post (Crisis In the Middle East)

View thread

ren
ren
07/17/2006 11:19 am
I think there is something to the calls for israel to excercise moderation in it's response. I'm not quite jewish, but my partner is so I like to think I'm fairly well informed.

Escalation is the thing. 2 soldiers get captured - now here is where I start getting confused. Being a soldier is a fairly risky vocation, and while any loss of life is regrettable, I don't see why a soldier's life is worth any more than a civilians. It's fair enough for Israel to go and get them back, it's also fair enough as far as it goes for Hezbollah, or Iran, or whoever to retaliate or defend as appropriate to stop what is in essence an invasion. Lebanese casualties far out number Israeli ones, and Israel have the hardware to make Lebanon disappear, but that doesn't mean they have to roll out their toys every time something isn't going their way.

For example, I think it's OK to say that generally the British dislike the French and there have doubtless been many occaisions when we would have been 'justified' in blowing the crap out of them. However, common sense for the most part prevails and we all sit down and talk it out.

Israel are in my opinion way too keen to jump to use of force, despite history showing them that it doesn't work. I am becoming concerned that there may be more to this, and Israel is maybe looking to expand it's borders rather than defend the ones it has.

No disrespect, and probably a shaky understanding of the details of it all, but I don't understand how when everyone says they don't want the violence, it happens anyway. New leader trying to assert his authority?

I dislike the western double standard. If the roles were reversed, I'm pretty sure the US / UK or whoever would be telling Lebanon to stop attacking Israel, or we'll come down there and crack some heads. Israel seem to be a law unto themselves. If Lebanon had Oil - we'd be there already.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com