2 Questions

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2006 2:01 am
Alright, I'm fairly certain this topic has been broached before, but when I adjust the volume control on my strat, I'm hearing some static/fuzz. I know that the problem is with the volume pot, but exactly how do I go about fixing this? Does it just need to be cleaned or replaced? I found one thread that briefly discussed this regarding an amp, but other than that I didn't really see anything that covered the topc in depth (sorry if I'm wrong, please redirect me).

Also, I read about a sautering job in guitar world magazine that would make it so when you lower the guitar's volume knob, it wouldn't roll off treble at the same time. This is a problem that only minorly bothers me, but I was wondering if this is a common hing tech's do, and if they would immediately know what I was talking about if I were to ask?

Thanks in advance.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/16/2006 6:33 am
I'm pretty sure that any time I've discussed this, I've said to replace 'em. They don't get better on their own; cleaning just buys you some time. Toss 'em.

A 'treble bleed' cap is a very common addition to the Volume pot. GuitarNuts call it a >High Bypass< capacitor.

You must be the only guy here that I haven't sent to the GuitarNuts website to check out the >Modifications< in their Wiring & Shielding section.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2006 2:22 pm
Thankyou, I'll look into that.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
07/17/2006 3:28 pm
I use the treble bleed on my strats... Mostly because it works almost like a gain knob. If you turn the guitar volume all the way up and turn your distorion wher you want it... Then back it off to about 6 or 8 you'll get a warm clean(er) tone... depending on your pickups... Then when you want to kick in distortion rock it to 10 and you got your treble boost and your distortion kicks in. That's the way that I use it anyway... Some people use it differently I suspect.

By the way... I use mine with Custom Shop '69 pickups in an American Strat... just for reference. Other pickups may react differently to volume changes...
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
07/17/2006 5:37 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI use the treble bleed on my strats... Mostly because it works almost like a gain knob. If you turn the guitar volume all the way up and turn your distorion wher you want it... Then back it off to about 6 or 8 you'll get a warm clean(er) tone... depending on your pickups... Then when you want to kick in distortion rock it to 10 and you got your treble boost and your distortion kicks in. That's the way that I use it anyway... Some people use it differently I suspect.

I don't play a Strat, but that's the same way I use my volume knob. Crank up the Overdrive and back off of the volume knob a bit to cut the highs. Can get a great bluesy tone this way, then turn the volume all the way up and it's back to a metal/Hard Rock tone.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.