New Telecaster for Funk-blues-jazz

AIC
AIC
07/11/2006 9:38 pm
I am thinking about bying a fender telecaster for the purpose of playing funk-blues-jazz. My knowledge on the telecaster series is extremely limited so if anyone has any knowledge of these guitars such as which one would fit my needs the best, should I choose a plain or one with a semi-hollow-body.
I would apreciate any adwise.

Cheers
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/11/2006 9:58 pm
My advice is very much to go out, try as many as you can get your hands on and buy the one you like the most.

You can use pretty much ANY Telecaster for any of the things you've described, so it's all a matter of finding one that feels right to you.

That said, I own a mid-90's Mexican made Telecaster Special. It has a neck humbucker, a five way selector switch (positions one and two are [I think] the humbucker in and out of phase, three is both pickups, four is the bridge pickup with whichever of the humbucker coils cancels its hum and the fifth is just the bridge pickup), a TBX tone control and a "vintage" style six saddle bridge.

Recently, I put a hand-wound, 50's style Tele pickup into the bridge and I've been very happy with the tone I'm getting; it's a very flexible yet unique sounding guitar.

Also, I really like the American set-neck Telecasters; if I had $600 kicking around right now, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Typically, I tend to find that even between two guitars of the exact same model, I like some a lot while others dissapoint me. But in this case, I have yet to play one of these guitars which didn't absolutely stun me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/12/2006 3:39 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovMy advice is very much to go out, try as many as you can get your hands on and buy the one you like the most.

You can use pretty much ANY Telecaster for any of the things you've described, so it's all a matter of finding one that feels right to you.

That said, I own a mid-90's Mexican made Telecaster Special. It has a neck humbucker, a five way selector switch (positions one and two are [I think] the humbucker in and out of phase, three is both pickups, four is the bridge pickup with whichever of the humbucker coils cancels its hum and the fifth is just the bridge pickup), a TBX tone control and a "vintage" style six saddle bridge.

Recently, I put a hand-wound, 50's style Tele pickup into the bridge and I've been very happy with the tone I'm getting; it's a very flexible yet unique sounding guitar.

Also, I really like the American set-neck Telecasters; if I had $600 kicking around right now, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Typically, I tend to find that even between two guitars of the exact same model, I like some a lot while others dissapoint me. But in this case, I have yet to play one of these guitars which didn't absolutely stun me.

Like Raskolnikov said, any tele works great for what you said.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/12/2006 9:46 am
yeah man, just try a whole lot out and take your favourite.
I really really like the American Standard Ash tele's...and the 52re-issue has that cool "bass" feature...

you gotta look around and find your ideal one.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.