B string stretcher

wtfismyname4
wtfismyname4
07/11/2006 4:58 pm
I've seen these guys who have a device usually on a fender telecaster, that will stretch out the b string. It's basically a knob that goes on the butt end of the guitar and is attached to the guitar player. So when he pulls on this knob it makes the guitar kinda sound like a steel. It's usually used in Country music. If anyone can explain what this is, and if u can buy a guitar with it or if you have to make it yourself, that would be appreciated. Thank you!
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/11/2006 5:04 pm
It's called a B-bender it's mostly used in country like you say. There is an instructor here named Wayne Neal who has a few lessons on the subject.

http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=405

I'm sure he could answer any questions you have about 'em.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/11/2006 5:06 pm
From his Instructor page:

A B-bender is a device connected to the B string of your guitar. It raises the B a whole tone to a C# like the pedals on a steel. One easy way to look at it is - Its like a whammy bar that whams up the b string only; and returns it to its original pitch. There are several different types of B-benders, Hipshot&Higgins are two external mount benders (mounts to the outside of your guitar), and fender makes a nashville tele with an internal system. Internals work off your strap mount beside the neck. Externals work either from a rod that runs to your hip , a palm pedal (like a whammy bar), or a cable attached to you strap.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
wtfismyname4
wtfismyname4
07/11/2006 5:09 pm
Hey thanks for straightening that out for me, i appreciate it. Does anyone know where i can get them or about how much they cost?
# 4
wtfismyname4
wtfismyname4
07/11/2006 5:11 pm
I guess i was in the wrong forum for that question... sorry about that!
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/11/2006 5:11 pm
I'm pretty positive this would be something you would have a knowledgable tech install for you. I guess your best bet would be just to google(or your fav search engine)"Buy a B-bender for guitar" and see what you come up with.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
aschleman
aschleman
07/11/2006 5:46 pm
The book "Guitar Players Repair Guide" by Dan Earlewine covers the installation of a hipshot bender. Just like Ninja said... Fender installed them on their Nashville Tele's... I believe the HipShot brand name comes specifically from that piece of equipment. Since then HipShot has went on to make other parts for guitars but they're most well known for those first HipShots... you can check out Hipshotproducts.com for their whole line-up of internal and external HipShots... also check out their other gadgets...
# 7
wtfismyname4
wtfismyname4
07/11/2006 6:33 pm
I think my best bet is to try and just buy a fender telecaster with the b bender already built in, and maybe i can find one with a fast drop tuner, so i can do an easy drop D. If anyone has any other suggestions of what would be good on a guitar to play a country sound, please let me know!!. Thanks
# 8
L5CES_Player
L5CES_Player
10/22/2006 3:15 am
Will Ray of the Hellecasters has in conjunction with Hipshot (The same folks who brought you the trem setter), have an easy add on device. Hipshot B bender. Hip activated instead of strap activated for about $140. I just put one on my Tele about a month ago and love it..

Check out the link here..
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=149
http://www.soundclick.com/rollandharrison
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.