cutting through the mix

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/08/2006 10:10 am
Right, now as a few of you know, I recently bought an Ibanez Thermion head...and I love it.

I have but one quibble with it...which is fixable, I just dont know how.
When the dampening is set to "in" and a use the distortion (this is the distortion setting I like most on the amp...as opposed to dampening set to "out") it sounds great in my room, and by myself, but doesnt seem to cut through the mix when jamming with a full band.

I have tried turning my mids up, and gain down, but neither helps much.
anyone have any tips?

Our bass player does stray from his assigned tonal range quite a bit, he plays alot of two handed tapping licks, ofetn with a capo up around the 12-15th frets...so perhaps he is jumping in on my territory and pushing me out? I'm not sure if something like that would cause me to fall away, or what it is...

so, any suggestions?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/08/2006 11:23 am
what kind of cab u using, what kind of speakers in the cab, what kind of music are you playing?
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
07/08/2006 1:44 pm
some small things you can try are to either put the speaker cabinet (whether it be a combo or head/cab) up on blocks or a table or something to take it off the ground.

you can also try to point the speakers up, such as adding tilt-back legs or just put a couple pieces or wood under the fron of the cab so it points the speakers to the roof. This is the technique I use.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/08/2006 2:43 pm
thanks guys...I'm using a Hornet cab, loaded with 2 celestion Gt 100's.

Its not a problem with volume...I still have alot of that to play with, but regardless of the volume, my parts get lost somewhere and seem to fade...I'm pretty sure its a tone issue
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
07/08/2006 4:08 pm
The highs get lost to you when you play live--that's normal. What you need to know is whether or not the people out front can hear them. If you're getting lost to them it's a different matter.

Apart from EQing, here are some other things you can do that help: Raise the treble side of your pickups a little higher; choose a fatter gauge for your unwound strings; buy a treble-boost pedal or a wah pedah that you can rock forwards when playing lead.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/08/2006 4:50 pm
Your 'bass' player is actually playing baritone. Tell him in no uncertain terms to lose that fargin' capo!

If you scoop your mids, your sound will die a lonely death. Guitar is a mid-range instrument.

My Brand X guitar, a modified Yamaha SBG1000, sounds very satisfying on its own, but tends to get lost in the mix, because it covers the whole tonal spectrum. My stock Washburn A20-CS cuts through very cleanly, without being pushy, or overly loud. On its own, it sounds kinda thin. Something to think about.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/09/2006 9:23 am
ok, the thing is, the capo and tapping licks sound awesome...so I'd rather not loose them, I even sound low when he's not tapping...its weird...I have not tried jamming with other guitars, only with my Gibson...I guess I`ll take another guitar next time we jam and see what happens.

I already have quite a mid-rangey sound, I hate scooped mids.

maybe it does sound normal to an audience...I'll have to ask some mates to have a listen.
I could turn up, but I dont think i need to, I am loud enough, I just fall away
# 7
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/09/2006 9:50 am
also rememba that sonic maximizer i was talkin to u about. it's designed to slightly alter the delivery of the different ends of the tone spectrum, because highs tend to reach your ears faster then lows or something, but apparently the sonic maximizer if u tweak it just right for ure amp and cab makes the sound actually come out a bit more and feel fuller. kinda like equing but with a microprocessor that's eqing in real time :). Try the stomp version i know u can get em in london, the rack version is a bitch to find.
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/09/2006 4:02 pm
I've actually been thinking about that...I want a Sonic Maximiser...but I'm no longer in London and now will have to track one down in Sa.

any idea of the cost of one? and which store stock them? I could always try and get a mate to pick one up for me and pay him for it.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/09/2006 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sa... I'm no longer in London and now will have to track one down in Sa...[/QUOTE]Maybe you should update your Account Profile?

[QUOTE=Andrew Sa]... I've actually been thinking about that...I want a Sonic Maximiser...any idea of the cost of one? and which store stock them? I could always try and get a mate to pick one up for me and pay him for it.
Do you know anyone who can scout Denmark Street for you?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/09/2006 5:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI've actually been thinking about that...I want a Sonic Maximiser...but I'm no longer in London and now will have to track one down in Sa.

any idea of the cost of one? and which store stock them? I could always try and get a mate to pick one up for me and pay him for it.

scuse my ignorance but where/what is Sa? if it's anywhere in the continent of america then congratulations you've just landed a bunch of half priced guitar equipment.
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/09/2006 7:00 pm
SA = South Africa

One more thing to concider... Are you standing right next to your cab? Like, within 2' of it? If you are you aren't really hearing what you sound like. Walk out atleast 10' from your cab, and you'll notice just how different it sounds. If you EQ your amp standing right over it, you'll be surprised at just how bad it sounds when you stand right in front of it about 10' out.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/10/2006 10:20 am
I do actually know people who can scout Denmark street for me, in fact I think I will email one of my mates with whom I used to work at Soho Sound House (on Charing cross, one block from Denmark street) he still works there, so I'm sure he can help me out.

Playa, I generally stand about 5-6' from my amp, I'll try a little further...perhaps plug my amp and effect in at different sockets at the wall...I'll give it a go.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.