I could use some help with this

tt44
tt44
07/05/2006 11:12 pm
I've been playing an acoustic for 2 years, and I've always toyed with the idea of singing and playing. But I've been jamming with some guys for a couple of months, and we're looking for a singer, but not finding one.

Our drummer told me one day "hey, you've got a pretty good voice, how about you play and sing for us", I like the idea, but I'm finding out that I can't sing and play at the same time.

I can sing and play individually, but when I try to do them together, I always lose track of the lyrics, or the chord changes.

Can anyone give me any tips on playing and singing?

any criticism or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/06/2006 1:31 am
Well very few legends that can sing and play are born. Most of the time you just have to practice your butt off. It sounds cliche but it's the truth. Find an easy song with some easy chord progressions and an easy vocal melody and practice. A few that spring to mind are "Knockin' on Heavens Door", "American Pie"and a song called "Eve of Destruction".
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/06/2006 4:46 am
This is how I learned. I started on a song with 3/4 timing, and moderately difficult to me back then. "Wondering Aloud" by Jethro Tull. (If you start out with a harder song, you'll find it easier to just add on easier songs.) Then I practiced the song till I had it down perfect, and added on the vocals. It took a lot of repetition. But after I figured out how to do, its cake now. Its hard for me to imagine not to be able to sing and play at the same time. It isn't possible. Good luck.

# 3
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/09/2006 5:27 am
Just got to practice alot.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 4
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
07/12/2006 2:37 pm
To me, this came easily. However there are some songs that are more difficult. The most difficult song to both sing and play is AC/DC TNT. Funny thing is it's easy to play and to sing, just not at the same time. Try to break the song up into little phrases, and work to coordinate these. Then move on to the next phrase. Soon you'll have the whole song. Make sure you have the lyrics memorized stone cold. To do this i recommend hand writing the lyrics twice a day. Don't look at the lyrics until you are truly stumped.
# 5
Krunek
Krunek
07/13/2006 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkTo me, this came easily. However there are some songs that are more difficult. The most difficult song to both sing and play is AC/DC TNT. Funny thing is it's easy to play and to sing, just not at the same time. Try to break the song up into little phrases, and work to coordinate these. Then move on to the next phrase. Soon you'll have the whole song. Make sure you have the lyrics memorized stone cold. To do this i recommend hand writing the lyrics twice a day. Don't look at the lyrics until you are truly stumped.

Know what you mean... I mean, we play like sultans of swing, sweet child of mine, poison... A lot of guys tell me this is hard to play and sing. But I got it
rather easy... And I am the only guitarist in the band, so I play solo and rythm. And I can do it (I do hope it doesn"t sound awful!! :) ). But, highway to hell... Well, kill me, but I can"t sing and play at the same time. Yust can"t.And this croatian song, where i only have to hold chords... Same thing. Can"t do it. But as to original problem, I played bass on a few gigs as a replacement. It was hard
at first to sing and play it, but once I got the hang of it, it just flowed.
I think all of the guys above are right. Yust gotta practice. Try humming at start, before you start singing. Helped me at first.
# 6
Pick_a_boo
Pick_a_boo
07/14/2006 4:47 am
ey.. the problem is not very big.. i mean you can work it out through constant practice.. a got a tip for you... ummm try to listen to the chords and try to synchronize it with your singing.. also have a steady pace, a metronome perhaps.. it's a long way but it's a start.. peace out!!!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.