Metal vs. Emo

Hamberg
Hamberg
07/03/2006 8:48 pm
What is the difference in the physical execution of technique? I already play metal, but want to learn emo or screamo.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
07/03/2006 9:37 pm
Depends on the technique. I think it's mostly the approach. Metal players have a much different approach to playing than country players.

And to play Emo, I think all you have to do is whine and cut yourself.

Sorry, that wasn't much help, just ignore me..... :p
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
pure
pure
07/04/2006 2:54 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKDepends on the technique. I think it's mostly the approach. Metal players have a much different approach to playing than country players.

aww man that was harsh.
one thing though, it takes alot of vocals and guts to be emo/screamo. and if you wanna know "physical execution" then go watch some music videos. i'm sure you can find some online if you don't have mtv or something. we can explain it in every detail, but if you don't see and hear for yourself, as i have learned personally on these forums, i can tell you one thing but you might take it the wrong way.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 3
ren
ren
07/04/2006 11:07 am
Isn't it just gently strummed barre chords clean for verses, and then the same progression with some crunch for the chorus? :D

Listen to some 'Saves the Day'.... A bit of palm muting now and again, but that's about it. If you play metal to any standard, then emo should be a nice holiday for you.... not much in the way of pyrotechnics

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
polansky
polansky
07/04/2006 9:24 pm
C'mon.... There's a big difference between emo an metal, sure both have crunchy guitars but the construcction of the songs are totally different.

Metal tends sometimes to be more progressive (except from grindcore or extreme stuff like that) songs have so much "passages" and emo is like up and down, distortion ON, distortion OFF, more melodic stuff but the nice kind of melodic... (what I call the tender side), and then the Punkish stuff.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against emo, I just don't dig on that stuff.
I was surprised by some Atreyu stuff but I DON'T LIKE THEM, give me Dimebag Darrell, gimme Lamb of God, gimme some Old Metallica stuff (like it a bit more than the new things) I think (maybe I'm wrong) but never heard an emo song as long and complex as Harvester of Sorrow or Master of Puppets.

My point is they are not the same sport.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 5
ren
ren
07/05/2006 10:19 am
Originally Posted by: polanskyC'mon.... There's a big difference between emo an metal...

Yeah, but the question was on physical execution of technique for each style. Pick in one hand, guitar neck in the other.... that's about it... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
polansky
polansky
07/05/2006 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp[QUOTE=polansky]C'mon.... There's a big difference between emo an metal...QUOTE]

Yeah, but the question was on physical execution of technique for each style. Pick in one hand, guitar neck in the other.... that's about it... :D

Then I guess te actuall difference is how many times you action the distortion pedal ON and OFF
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 7
HDJ
HDJ
07/05/2006 3:31 pm
Originally Posted by: pureaww man that was harsh.
one thing though, it takes alot of vocals and guts to be emo/screamo. and if you wanna know "physical execution" then go watch some music videos. i'm sure you can find some online if you don't have mtv or something. we can explain it in every detail, but if you don't see and hear for yourself, as i have learned personally on these forums, i can tell you one thing but you might take it the wrong way.

Yeah, that was harsh and I apologize. I had a bad day that day...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 8
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/05/2006 5:18 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKDepends on the technique. I think it's mostly the approach. Metal players have a much different approach to playing than country players.

And dress in black! Sorry, Indie-ness kicking in...
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 9
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/06/2006 10:13 am
metal in terms of execution would require quite a bit more skill on the guitar side of things, you're probably going to have to know your scales well and your metronome will have to become your best friend.

Emo has much simpler riffs then metal and thus you're probably more free to do insane stage antics and so on :)

If you want proof get me the most complicated emo riff you know and i'll be able to beat it hands down with a metallica riff.

Of course music shouldn't be about how complex or fast something is, but never-the-less that's the direct comparison between the guitar side.

Emo vocals are a lot more emphasized then metal vocals as emo songs are driven primarily by lyrics. Therefore the guitar work is probably going to come second to vocals. Metal is generally the opposite and guitar work is put above vocals (i'm talkin shred metal here) so for example Metallica's master of puppets - if you put those vocals in front of a monotonious riff of just powerchords it wouldn't have been a good song at all, but it's riffs made it amazing. put emo vocals infront of a monotonious riff of just powerchords and you've got a decent emo song :)
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.