Hamberg
Hamberg
07/03/2006 8:46 pm
Progressions?

Modes?

Rhythm?

Stylistic influences?

Physical Technique?

How do you play it and write original songs in the style?
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 1
pure
pure
07/04/2006 1:49 am
emo is mostly vocals.
there are no solos, and if any, its probably 5-10 seconds.
emo tends to have simple catchy riffs that complement the vocals.
stylistic influences are usually umm.. bad relationships and bad parents. to be a good emo songwriter you have to have lived a life teenagers can relate to, but it must be an emotional one...
umm most emo songs complain about something, or are begging and pleading somebody to do something.
emo song lyrics usually have something to do with love

some examples of this.

So cut my wrists and black my eyes.
So I can fall asleep tonight or die.
Because you kill me.
You know you do, you kill me well.
You like it too, and I can tell.
You'll never stop until my final breath is gone.

if you are looking for influences... the emo bands that always come to my mind when i think of emo are fall out boy, hawthorne heights, ...death cab for cutie maybe?...
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/04/2006 6:12 am
Emo that's closer to traditional punk tends to use strummed open, barre and three-note power chords with really bright clean tones and crunchy overdrive, whereas screamo and metalcore usually involves diads and palm-muted single notes, with both muddy clean sounds and heavy distortion. If you're looking for guidance, I'd suggest listening to the half-decent emo groups like Thrice, Boys' Night Out and Coheed and Cambria, not the derivative corporate stuff like Simple Plan, Lostprophets, Taking Back Sunday, he Used etc. *shudder*
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/04/2006 8:53 am
emo is the bastard child of punk, whereas as screamo is the bastard child of metal.

can u honestly imagine listening to this music when ure 25- 35? it's designed from ground up to appeal to the demographic of 12 - 20, screamo probably in the higher reaches of that.

It's all about teenage angst, but the reason why so many have contempt for it is because it's like eating sugar - we all love sugar as children (hell i'm 17 i love sugar) emo is like eating lollies, whereas metal and punk are still feeding the same sugar urge but are more like eating chocolate - where the food is not just sugar but also a mixture between milk and nuts and so on so forth. So emo and screamo is almost like limiting yourself even though your getting more bang for your lil teenage angst buck.
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
07/04/2006 2:37 pm
I Dont Like The Kids :rolleyes:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/04/2006 3:06 pm
lol i might have been a bit harsh about my word on emo's though, didn noe whether any1 likes that kinda stuff here ... if i was 14 right now i'd probably get into it (i was into eminem back then, pretty much the same deal).
# 6
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/04/2006 6:06 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseif i was 14 right now i'd probably get into it (i was into eminem back then, pretty much the same deal).

Dude, I know people in their TWENTIES who are into it. And I like Thrice and Coheed and Cambria. That's not to say I have the customary emo narcissistic-depressive disorder and dress like a morbid clown :p, but they're good bands, emo or not. The emo lifestyle and culture don't appeal to me at all, and ninety percent of the bands out there are horrible, but there are some good ones as well. Never let social stereotypes prevent you from listening to music. Just yesterday, I read an interview with John Frusciante, and he really likes hip-hop and r&b! :eek:

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 7
pure
pure
07/04/2006 6:56 pm
I had no idea coheed and cambria are emo. if they are, they're a damn good emo band.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
07/04/2006 9:39 pm
Originally Posted by: pure

if you are looking for influences... the emo bands that always come to my mind when i think of emo are fall out boy, hawthorne heights, ...death cab for cutie maybe?...

death cab for cutie is indie..not emo..
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 9
lifeis@song
lifeis@song
07/05/2006 1:45 am
hip hop and r&b are awsome and there is actual talent there. everybody plays guitar and can eventually (if they wanted to ) get that same exact sound that emos' play. i can not even stand the fact that emo or screamo (its all the same to me) is considered a genre of music. i liked thursday kinda, that was it. theres so much more creative stuff out there. a little somthing about steriotypes too : most of them, portions of them are true.
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/05/2006 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosewhereas as screamo is the bastard child of metal.

You're thinking of grindcore.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 11
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/06/2006 9:44 am
is coheed and cambria that band with that awesome lil riff that is like a sweep on an acoustic at the start then it like explodes into distortion that sounds like a zeppelin song? i think it's called welcome home, its so awesome i learnt it as soon as i heard it at the download festival.

yer frusciante loves hip hop and R&B but keep in mind RHCP were originally a funk band and had pretty strong rap roots, like they used too be pretty crazy that way. if you look up some of their performances from the 80's on google video you'll know exactly what i'm talkin about :).
# 12
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
07/06/2006 12:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYou're thinking of grindcore.
Poop Who can keep up :confused:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 13
gennation
gennation
07/06/2006 5:08 pm
Are you guys trying to tell me that "everyone has their own opinion?".

What a revelation! I had no idea we could EACH have our opinion. My life is changed forever! Thanks for this realization.

BTW, I'm over 40 and have seen My Chemical Romance twice, Alkaline Trio, Reggie, Green Day...as well as KISS, John Mclaughlin, Frank Zappa, Bananrama, Ani Difranco, Van Halen, Ricky Skaggs, Iron Maiden, etc, etc...

It's not different music...it's just different ways to use those 12-notes ;)
http://lessons.mikedodge.com
http://www.mikedodge.com
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/06/2006 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseis coheed and cambria that band with that awesome lil riff that is like a sweep on an acoustic at the start then it like explodes into distortion that sounds like a zeppelin song? i think it's called welcome home, its so awesome i learnt it as soon as i heard it at the download festival.

That's the one! It's called "Welcome Home". That's one of their heavier songs, though.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/06/2006 7:40 pm
Originally Posted by: gennationAre you guys trying to tell me that "everyone has their own opinion?".

What a revelation! I had no idea we could EACH have our opinion. My life is changed forever! Thanks for this realization.

BTW, I'm over 40 and have seen My Chemical Romance twice, Alkaline Trio, Reggie, Green Day...as well as KISS, John Mclaughlin, Frank Zappa, Bananrama, Ani Difranco, Van Halen, Ricky Skaggs, Iron Maiden, etc, etc...

It's not different music...it's just different ways to use those 12-notes ;)

Technically there are 14 notes.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
Fret spider
Fret spider
07/06/2006 10:07 pm
is the 14 notes thing a joke, cos arnt there 12 notes in an octave.

i am confused
# 17
gennation
gennation
07/07/2006 5:17 pm
Most people need to learn the 12 notes before even thinking of moving onto those last 2 ;)
http://lessons.mikedodge.com
http://www.mikedodge.com
# 18
lizaolam
lizaolam
07/08/2006 2:57 am
you forgot to mention emery, my chemical romance, thrice, aiden, senses fail, dear whoever, from first to last, avanged sevenfold, underoath,thursday silverstein, april's love affair ( my brother's band) , and taking back sunday.

p.s

fall out boy is not emo. hawthorn heights is. never heard of the third band

Originally Posted by: pureemo is mostly vocals.
there are no solos, and if any, its probably 5-10 seconds.
emo tends to have simple catchy riffs that complement the vocals.
stylistic influences are usually umm.. bad relationships and bad parents. to be a good emo songwriter you have to have lived a life teenagers can relate to, but it must be an emotional one...
umm most emo songs complain about something, or are begging and pleading somebody to do something.
emo song lyrics usually have something to do with love

some examples of this.

So cut my wrists and black my eyes.
So I can fall asleep tonight or die.
Because you kill me.
You know you do, you kill me well.
You like it too, and I can tell.
You'll never stop until my final breath is gone.

# 19
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/10/2006 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffhxdeath cab for cutie is indie..not emo..

eeeexxxxxxxxactly my thoughts...

I love that sweeping riff in that coheed and cambria song, but... its easy. Still nifty sounding. He sounds like a girl though. Ah well. Go teenage angst!

Fall Out Boy= emo light (yes I just made up a genre).

I wish people would stop calling each other emo though, I do it sometimes as well. But I also say dude a lot, and I find that extremely annoying. Its all my parents' fault. :(

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.