Covers Bands

Alan Moorhouse
Alan Moorhouse
08/09/2001 12:51 am
Following on from replies to my "Two Questions" thread, I wonder what you guys think about Covers Bands - I mean the ones that set out to do a whole gig covering the songs of one band. Here in the UK there are some that do "Pop Tributes" to bands like Abba, and some that do "Musical Homage" to bands like Queen. I have seen a Steely Dan covers band called "Nearly Dan", and a Thin Lizzy covers band called "Black Rose", and really enjoyed both. My question really is, is this just a UK thing, or does it happen elsewhere in the world, and do you like it?
;) Reelin' in the years...
# 1
Hootayah
Hootayah
08/09/2001 2:02 am
For me it pretty much depends on how good they are. I've heard some cover bands that are so bad you just wanna cringe. If they're really good though it's a good experience to hear stuff you'd normally never hear 'live'. I saw a Queen cover band do Bohemian Rhapsody and all I could think was 'what were these guys thinking??"
but I also saw a beatles cover band, who dressed like them and even looked like them, used the same vintage instruments etc... and they were excellent.
I think it depends on who's being covered too. Like if a band were to cover 'Rush' up here in Toronto it'd be like, what's the point. You can see em live anyways.

Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2001 2:51 am
we have "Tribute Bands" in the US too. I think it depends on how good the band is, and what band they're tributing. Some are super cheasy, some are actually cool.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
08/09/2001 2:58 am
I have heard a AC/DC cover band they were really good. Not the same flair as the almighty Angus but it worked.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.