pickup replacement

gogogo
gogogo
06/26/2006 12:14 am
I've got a highway one strat and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups w/ fender lace sensors. I'd like to think I'm a pretty handy guy lol. And I was just wondering If you think it would be best for me to try and replace the pickups myself...or take it in to a tech. My next question is where should I go for a "how to" or something along those lines to guide me in the change. Also while I'm @ it is there n e other minor mods or switches I should make w/electronics or parts?
# 1
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
06/26/2006 3:57 am
If you buy the pickups new they should come with a wiring diagram. Otherwise, there are lots of sites you can look through for them. I can find some links if you need them. :)

It's not too difficult to replace pickups. If you know how to solder without making a mess, then you should be fine. Sometimes it's handy to have a helper to hold wires in place and such. Oh, and make sure you have a decent soldering iron, too. The cheap ones are horrible to use. You hold them on the solder for ages before it gets hot enough and then, all of a sudden, the solder has melted off in the blink of an eye. :mad:

By the way, are you sure you want Lace Sensors? They don't quite sound like regular single coil pickups. If that's the sound you're after, then go for it, but if you're expecting true single coil tone without the noise, then you won't get it. Actually, Kinman pickups are good noiseless pickups, though they're expensive and they don't sound like a true single coil either.
# 2
gogogo
gogogo
06/26/2006 5:30 am
Yeah I'm almost 90% sold on Lace Sensors I'm thinking blue in the bridge, silver in the middle, and gold in the neck. From the research I've done this combination gives a lot of bass kick as well as a warmer, fuller tone(what I need for clean jazz runs) I also play overdriven blues and I heard these can cover that pretty well too sooo...and minus the 60 cycle hum!!!SO all that said I guess I'm just gonna try these worst comes to worst I'll have to trade em in or sell them for something else...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/26/2006 6:05 am
Don't forget to check out the >Wiring< section of the GuitarNuts website. While you're replacing the pickups, you can also improve the layout to reduce noise.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
gogogo
gogogo
06/26/2006 4:47 pm
O yeah this is just what I was looking for GREAT MODS thanks again
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/27/2006 5:08 am
You're welcome.

And peeps call me LATS. ;)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.