Hitting the pawn shops and flea markets

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
06/23/2006 2:14 pm
Hey guys.

I am in a dire search for a LP. I can buy a new one but to be honest I really don't want to buy one from the only place in town that sells them....and after talking to a few shop owners it appears that Gibson / Epi are pulling out of the smaller guitar shop market and going to the "Mega Mall" stores like GC.

So, if I decide to buy used from a pawn shop or flea market etc...what are some things to look for?

I know to check the neck for warpage, and I am fairly certain pluggin in will be hard if not impossible at some places (any way to check electronics without plugging in?)

Also what else should I be looking out for?
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
06/23/2006 3:50 pm
You should always be able to plug in at a pawn shop. They usually have a small amp behind the counter to test peoples gtr's when they bring them in to pawn.

Flea Market's? Yeah your on your own unless you have like a Pignose or Honey tone (little bitty Amps that run on Batteries and are small enough to carry).

I would never purchase a guitar I could not play plugged in. Wiring problems and etc. Unfortunately I am no Tech (change etrings and twist knobs is about it for me) so I can not offer you any suggestions on that issue.

But one thing to look out for especiallly when it comes to Gibsons. Pawn shops will usually call GC to find out what that model is selling for and sell theirs at the same price.

Good news is you can always write down the serial number on the back go online to check to make sure that A--It is an actual Gibson (not a mixed match thing) B-- what the guitar was like new/stock and the date it was made and the plant.

Ususally you can talk them down on price if it is a good guitar but old ( and you know they only pawned the thing for like no money). Or sometimes yolumay find out that after you checked the serial number they actually are selling a great stock guitar for cheap.

my 2 cents.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/23/2006 4:15 pm
I have yet to see a reputable guitar at a flea market. I wouldn't bother going there unless you were planning to browse the other stores. I'd stick with the pawn shops. Usually if they have guitars they will most likely have amps.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
pure
pure
06/24/2006 2:26 am
Ok i did a speech on this.

If you find a nice guitar you want to get, first of all remember its a pawn shop so all they want to do is make a profit. but they are willing to bargain. if you go there acting like you know another place you can get a better guitar then they might be willing to deal. don't just check one pawn shop. my area of town has about 12 pawn shops i think and they all sell guitars so don't just stik to one place.

1. look for damage like:
deep scratches,
dents,
cracked wood,
screwed up necks,
screwed up paint job,
rust,
fret damage,
bridge damage,
broken or missing parts,
and check the price tag.
2. go online and see how much that guitar sells new.
pawn shops rip off alot.
if you are able to, get the serial and go online and see if its legit.
3. I myself own a honeytone, I recommend getting a similar mini-amp if you plan on going to flea markets. check for everything there that i mentioned and always remember to try before you buy. it may not even work. if you don't like the sound, either its what the guitar's made of or the pickups. if its the pickups and you really think its a good deal on the guitar, and you're able to replace the pickups, by all means buy it.

just as a warning, its kinda hard to tell if the guitar you're buying has a broken truss rod. the guitar you buy may have a broken truss rod who knows?
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.