Biasing Tubes / Maintenance

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/22/2006 4:13 pm
I've been persuaded my the amazing ammount of topics on the internet about SS vs Tube to get a tube amp. I figure if i'm getting an amp i might as well get a good one, right? well recently i read an article that not only showed all the great things about tube amps but also showed the downsides ...

how much maintenance really goes into these things? how careful do i have to be carrying them? how much does biasing cost (I assume it's about once every 2 years for the power tubes) and how much do Powertubes cost? What is biasing (:D)?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/22/2006 5:14 pm
"how much maintenance really goes into these things? "
The preamp tubes should last for a very long time, unless they get physically damaged, or the failure of another component causes trouble. The power tubes life expectancy is dependant on factors like how much stress the circuit design puts on them, and how hard you play. Cranking the amp full-pin all the time will wear them out more quickly. You will eventually learn to recognise the tone loss caused by weakening power tubes, just like knowing when the guitar strings need to be replaced.

"how careful do i have to be carrying them?"
Don't move an amp while its running, or until the tube filaments have had time to cool off after shutting down. A tube amp is not super-fragile, but bashing it around is bad policy.

"how much does biasing cost (I assume it's about once every 2 years for the power tubes) "
It depends on how hard you run the amp. If the tone is kinda flat, its time to get it checked out. Some amp designs do not require adjustment. Check out whether your amp has 'self-bias', 'cathode bias' or 'fixed bias'. Pricing varies, but for a simple job, a half-hour should do it. If the bias circuit is not variable it can take longer, and will cost more. My old Ampegs, for instance were adjusted by physically replacing some components to get the right voltage. A common mod is to install a trimpot to make the voltage easy to adjust. So the first visit would cost extra for modifying the circuit, but after that, the bias adjustment would be quick, easy, and less expensive.

"and how much do Powertubes cost?"
How much do you want to spend? You can get JJ EL84's for about $20. You can get New-Old-Stock Mullard EL34's for about $1000.

"What is biasing?"
Its equivalent to setting the idle speed of a motor. As the tube amplifies an AC audio signal, the voltages swing up and down from a 'starting point' which is set by adjusting the bias. Some amplifier designs called 'self-bias' or 'cathode bias' are set up in such a way that this bias changes itself as the tube ages. No need to do anything but Plug'n'Play. All preamp tubes use this kind of circuit, and a lot of lower-powered amps use this on the output stage as well. A circuit design called 'fixed bias' has a circuit that does not self-adjust (the setting is 'fixed'). These amps need to be adjusted by a tech periodically to keep the power tubes happy.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/22/2006 6:15 pm
awesome cheers. lol 1000 dollar power tubes. i'm looking towards the ashdown fallen angel, which seems pretty awesome, it's either that or a Peavey 6505 which is going to massively bite into my budget and i'll probably have to sleep in a dumpster for a while.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/22/2006 7:43 pm
You shouldn't have to sleep in a dumpster for a decent amp. I've been reading good reviews by people whose opinion I respect about the Crate Palamino V 15 Watt. Definitely priced to sell, and apparently the tone is really good. 15 Watts is plenty for most situations, and I hear that it sounds better than its 30 Watt brother. I don't know what kind of reliability issues might arise later due to whatever cost-reduction techniques they applied to the design, but its worth checking out. One obvious place for a manufacturer to save money would be the speaker(s). A simple upgrade can turn a mediocre rig into a tone-monster. Look at the rest of the Vintage Club series, too.

Crate has a well-deserved shabby reputation for making cheap, crappy-sounding amps, but these product lines appear to be a solid effort to turn that situation around. Buy your gear based on what it sounds like, not what name is stencilled on the control panel.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/23/2006 8:19 am
I was looking at the ashdown fallen angel half stack because apparently it's designed to be more bass heavy then most and i'm very much into rythm so that'd be awesome. The problem with crate amps is they're not very available in Australia. I've got 1000 dollars to spend so i'd rather get a good amp then pay 500$ for an amp of which i want to upgrade next month.

The Ashdown is 60W all tube (yer a little bit over kill but it's very preamp driven so i don't have to crank it), it looks cool which is always a bonus yay! plus it's a brand that i've grown to respect. plus it's voiced to my needs.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/23/2006 2:03 pm
I wouldn't recognise an Ashdown amp if I tripped over it. Doesn't matter. What counts is this:

Find a piece of gear that does what you want it to do, for a price that you're willing to pay.

From there, the rest is details.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/23/2006 2:35 pm
yep, onli problem is i'm trying to find an amp that pulls of mesa distortion with fender cleans :P i'd be happy with half assed mesa distortion and half assed fender cleans if the amp itself still sounded good.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.