Radiohead Outrage!!

Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/06/2001 7:12 pm
I was absolutly outraged to read in my guitar mag (i forget which one, i have submitted to more than i can count) the top 300 guitarist of all time, and note they have missed out Johnny Greenwood. Guys? What happened? Either they are too busy listening to nu-metal rubbish to even think about the suicide provoking radiohead, or they simply don't like him. Whats not to like? He is the master of fx, better with a phaser than the great EVH, his rythem work is enouph to make a drummer weep and his crunchy solos blow away anything in his path. So come on guys, i know u are a bit biased to american bands but ignoring him compleatly is just cruel. So cruel am considering stoping my subscribtion unless they put right this huge blunder.

If u don't know what i mean buy OK Computer and listen to tracks Paranoid Android and Electionering
Tandem Felix
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/06/2001 9:20 pm
I'll garantee that thousands of equally or more talented guitarist failed to make that list. Was Charlie Hunter on there? He's that sick bastard who uses an eight string guitar (three bass strings, two guitar strings) so that he can play both the guitar and bass parts at once. And yes, he plays solos while still holding down the bassline. I think we all have other examples of great guitarists who simply didn't come to mind when those editors came together and made their list. So yes, it's irritating as all hell. Most of my heros aren't on "Top 300" lists either, but as you grow wiser you eventually learn that stressing over who's featured in a guitar magazine really isn't very productive or healthy.

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 08-06-2001 at 05:22 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/06/2001 9:41 pm
Yeah that was a Top 10 guitarist in 30 different genres thing if were talking about the same one which I think we are. Slash didnt get in either which was apparently a mistake by the guy who made it. Alot of my favourites didnt get in like Rory Gallagher, Jeff Buckley and Rory Gallgher and Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett did so.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
loner92
loner92
08/08/2001 4:00 am
"Best guitarist" polls are stupid. But that guy from Radiohead just plain sucks. Sure he may be very experimental, but that doesn't take away from his suckage. I could be experimental and try to make ice cream that tastes like rotten eggs and steak, or bang on my guitars with a hammer, but it would still suck. And no, I don't listen to "nu-metal" (or anything else on the radio/tv for that matter).
Radiohead is either:
(A. A cure for insomnia
(B. aimless "experimental" noise
or (C. A close cousin of the sound a chalkboard makes when someone scratches it

# 4
loner92
loner92
08/08/2001 4:07 am
Oh, and if you want to hear good rhythm chops, listen to Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth, Dave Mustaine (especially on Killing is My Buisness and Rust in Peace), or Michael Romeo from Symphony X. You'll then realize what a turd of a rythm guitarist the Radiohead guy is.

You're entitled to your own opinion on wether or not you like Radiohead, but the fact that that guy ISN'T a great guitarist isn't a matter of opinion. When you say something like that, you're talking about technical facility, not your take on a band.

# 5
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
08/08/2001 4:18 pm
i just got that issue the other day. i was pretty happy with it, though i thought Hendrix's star spangled banner should have been much higher. anyways if you read the introduction to the countdown it says that they asked all their readers to send in their top 5 favorite solos, so if you didn't send anything in, you shouldn't complain, and if you did, there's no accounting for the rest of america's taste
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/08/2001 6:03 pm
Hey, is Jonny Greenwood the guy with the long hair who also plays the organ and piano stuff? Or is it the other shorter-haired guy who looks more normal?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/08/2001 7:44 pm
Greenwood is the long haired guy. He plays acustic guitar, electric guitar, piano, violin, keyboard, organ, harmanica, T.V, xylaphone, radio and sings. His style is just out of this world. When i listen to his music i can't find a single influence, prehaps maybe Syd Barret, from another guitarist. The short haired guy is Ed o' Brian and dispite looking normal his playing is more insane than Johnny's. The reason i didn't mention him is that he takes all the sound fx and strange textures. And to all u guys who bad-mouth Radiohead, remember this. I was the same as u till i watched Later With Jools Holland and i was turned. More presisly it was Paranoid Android and its twin solos that turned me. Listen and u will at least be able to make some inteligent critesisms. Don't make up your mind till u've given it a chance.
Tandem Felix
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.