Build a Talkbox

DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/21/2006 12:50 pm
Guys, im glad your new to the scene here at bandnut.com, i've been here moderating (and created) this forum to help people. There has been so much bashing and crap lately i almost gave up on this sh*t. This forum has always been here to help, just as an example, go back and look at the folders of topics, then select "show last year" and you will get everything ..

The Heil talkbox is what alot of people used to make that talking guitar sound. Basically its nothing more than a compression driver air tight sealed to a hose. The guitar amp drives the speaker, it creates air vibrations and transmits it thru the hose. At the mic stand the hose is mounted right nest to the microphone. When you want to make the "talking guitar sound" you put the hose inside your mouth an inch or so, and hit a footsh*tch that connects the driver to your amplifier, then just start mouthing the words. The talkbox replaces what your vocal chord do in your throat --create viberations and he mic amplifies it thru the PA system. ok, here is how i would build one.

* Good vocals reproduction *80 watts RMS driver unit *Frequency response: 600-11,000 Hz *Sensitivity: 99 dB *8 ohm impedance *20 oz. magnet *Standard 1-3/8"-18 TPI *Net weight: 3-1/2 lbs. *Dimensions: diameter: 4-5/16", depth: 2-1/2".

This is a compression driver, it costs after shipping less than $20.

Make a small box or goto radio shack and buy a large plastic project box, and mount this inside of it. Get a foot switch from anywhere (lowes,home depot, radio shack , hutch&son electronics) and hook it up so that it simply turns on and off the driver. also get a 1/4" 2 conductor jack(looks just like the speaker output and input jacks on the amp) from radiosack or hutch. Yes i on purpose misspell radio shack because i hate this place, they hire idiots to work there. you will also mount this to the talkbox for the speaker connection from the amp. On the back of your amp there should be and external speaker output. This is the jack you want to use to get power to the talk box. BUT BE CAREFULL the speaker is only 80 watts capable and can be easilly damaged by high power amps so you'll have to put in a dropping resistor to drop some of the power going to the driver. 10 to 25 ohms (the higher the value , the less the power to the driver) or just get a 100 watt Lpad used in home stereo speaker equipment (i dont think radio crap has these anymore) but shouldnt be to hardto find at any stereo place. The lpad is a variable resistor so you can have a seperate volume control over the talkbox. once you have all the parts, i think you can figure out how to hook the up since you have a little electronics experience.

The driver i picked is availiable from parts express 1800-338-0531

driver part#260-097 , L pad part # 260-265 , radio shake will have the box and 1/4" jack and lowes or home depot will have a foot switch in the lamp parts electrical area. it is a push on -push off type.

The driver has an output hole already and is a common 1-3/8" thread pattern, you will need a reducer to fit a piece of vinyl clear hose ( both also avail. at home depot) to get to a comfortable size. 1 and 3/8" hose would feel odd in your mouth, try to get it to 1/2" or around there.

Good Luck, if you build one, let us know how it turned out.

[email]ericwhit@sigecom.net[/email] (812) 425-0374
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.