WHcih tubes needs replaced first?

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
06/21/2006 4:10 am
Hey, Its been a long time since I have been on here, dont know if anyone remembers me but anyways I need to buy Tubes online because Im thinking that the tubes in my Marshall Jcm2000 are getting old because I bought it used and have had it over a year without any tube replacements, I have $100 and I need something new before Saturday so I need to buy quick, Should I buy new Pre-amp Tubes or the bigger tubes??? For better tone. I dont know which ones might give out first, and I know I need to get them replaced by a real technician at a music store and I dont know how long it takes to Bias an amp head. Could you please help me with knowing what to get and if any recommendations on what brand I should get, thankyou.
Mike ;)
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/21/2006 4:30 am

The preamp tubes will last a very long time, but the power amp tubes usually have a lifespan for about a year under normal playing conditions. This isn't set in stone by any means, because I've had power tubes last a couple years with regular playing, but a year is fairly typical. The preamp tubes will have the most effect on your tone. Specifically the tube in V1, and your guitars signal will usually always be going through this stage.

I'd buy my tubes from Doug at http://www.dougstubes.com/. Let him know what you have, and what tones you're going for, and he can make a good suggestion for some tubes. A tube swap doesn't take long at all, but if you don't know what you're doing, I'd definitely take it to a competant tech. There are voltages in there that can kill you even if the amp isn't plugged in.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/21/2006 8:55 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplaya There are voltages in there that can kill you even if the amp isn't plugged in.

.... say what????????? how can an amp electrocute you if it's not plugged in? does it have a batter or an amazingly big capacitor or something?
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/21/2006 3:09 pm
The caps hold a charge. Simply turn the power switch off with the standby switch still on to discharge them.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.