Replacing a neck

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
06/19/2006 1:52 pm
I'm constantly modding my el cheapo guitar and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about changing the neck. i found a cheap jackson style neck on ebay that is 24 fret (like my current neck) and is bolt on too. now i know it's cheap and it's not going to be good but i like screwin around with these things.

so basically how hard is it to put the new neck on? Would it just be a matter of unscrewing the old neck and just screwing the new neck on and then maybe adjusting inotation, or are there complications involved?
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/19/2006 1:56 pm
I'm sure for the tuning and intonation and action to be good to go you'd have to measure it pretty damn accurate other than that it shouldn't be that hard.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/19/2006 3:18 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaI'm sure for the tuning and intonation and action to be good to go you'd have to measure it pretty damn accurate other than that it shouldn't be that hard.

Same scale Easy as Pie Just unscrew the old one and screw on the new provided the screw holes match. If they dont match (DO NOT MODIFY)
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
06/19/2006 4:13 pm
It depends... it can potentially be a simple bolt on swap... Or, you may need to do some modifications tot he neck or neck pocket of the body... It depends if the neck that you bought is designed for the same depth of neck pocket and width... and also if it's got the same heel shape. Some cheap guitars use strat copy necks with straight heels... while other use the traditional rounded heel that Fender uses... You also have to worry about whether or not the neck matches your string spacing. If the neck is too narrow... the E strings will be too close to the side of the neck... if it's too wide... it may not fit your neck pocket... and there will be a lot of extra space on the outside of the e strings if it somehow does fit your neck pocket... I can almost gaurantee that the holes are not going to match up. Unless the neck and the guitar are made in the exact same factory with the exact same tools and settings... you're going to have to plug the holes on the neck with dowel rod and glue... let it dry... then redrill new holes. I have yet to do a neck replacement that I didn't have to plug the original holes. If you buy a replacement neck from allpars.com it comes with no holes cut at all for this reason. Take a look at these things and see what mods you'll need to do. Hopefully you won't need to do a lot. But, either way it'll be good practice for you.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.