Intonation trouble

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/16/2006 1:26 am
For whatever reason, I can't keep the G string intonated. The other 5, no problem. I get the G set up right, play for a while, put it down, come back 1/2 later and it's off again.

I tune to the open and then tune on the 12th by adjusting the string length. Is this the right way? I've read about this method in several places but if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

Any thoughts?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
redspecial
redspecial
06/16/2006 8:46 am
whats your guitar, especially what kind of bridge is it?
tune o matic, vintage tele, strat trem, floyd rose, etc...
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
06/16/2006 11:52 am
If it's a G string... I'm guessing it's a trem style bridge... maybe a Strat style bridge... There are different ways to adjust intonation... I tune to the open string, then play a harmonic at the 12th fret and tune to that by adjusting the saddles.

It may just be your bridge moving back and forth if it really is a strat trem style bridge... They're notorious for going out of tune easily. Especially if you have it set up lightly with 3 springs and you use it a lot. It's never going to stay in tune very long. If you don't use your trem I suggest installing 5 springs and tightening them down... This will give you more tuning stability.
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/17/2006 11:03 am
Thanks! It is a strat tremelo style bridge. I'll give the suggestions a try. Honestly, it's not the greatest guitar. A cheapie ol' Washburn but I'm using it to learn how to repair and customize (rather than chance butchering my Ibanez) it.

The G has always sounded a bit dead. The others are fine and will stay in tune pretty well but not that one. You can tell as soon as you strum across it when you pick it up. One dead string. Drives me crazy.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
06/20/2006 6:09 am
Sometimes strings--and especially the G string on a Strat-style guitar--will have this problem. What it can be is that the string doesn't have quite enough angle over the nut. So when it goes from the nut to the tuning peg it's not at a sharp enough angle and therefore the string is kinda dampened at the nut. This usually is combined with loose tuners or something and causes the string to go out of tune often. You can check if this is the case by pushing the string down behind the nut on the G string while you play it. The note will go a bit sharp, but what you want to listen for is whether or not it sounds clearer. If it does then you've solved the problem. You can fix it by getting staggered tuning pegs or a string tree.

The way to do your intonation is to compare the 12th fret harmonic with the fretted 12th fret note. The idea is that the string should be exactly at its halfway mark at that point.
# 5
pure
pure
06/20/2006 7:52 pm
sometimes its the string overlapping itself on the tuning peg. That could be the problem.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/21/2006 9:00 pm
Sometimes if the action is not high enough a string can just touch a fret higher than the 12th and give a false reading on the Tuner.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7
Bluzboy66
Bluzboy66
08/20/2007 1:47 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60For whatever reason, I can't keep the G string intonated. The other 5, no problem. I get the G set up right, play for a while, put it down, come back 1/2 later and it's off again.

I tune to the open and then tune on the 12th by adjusting the string length. Is this the right way? I've read about this method in several places but if there's a better way, I'm all ears.

Any thoughts?

Mark Pav made valid points, but didn't mention dressing the nut properly. Just about EVERY new production guitar that has come through my shop lately has suffered from an ill-dressed nut. The strings aren't breaking cleanly over the front edge, the transition from the break and the back of the nut isn't smooth and a flowing curve toward the tuners, etc.

All of this needs to be addressed for stable tuning and proper intonation. If the string isn't breaking at the very edge of the front of the nut, you'll have chronic intonation issues. If the slots in the nut aren't cut cleanly, you'll suffer from 'pinging' as you tune, and general tuning instability.

Since you're in the process of learning to work on guitars, it would be a good idea to start at the very beginning of the string path, and work your way through the entire guitar. The holes in the trem where the strings pass through and anchor, should be burr-free and smooth. The bridge saddles should also be smooth, stable and snug......make sure the tension springs behind each saddle aren't too short and rattling loosely......that's a tone killer, and very common on newer budget guitars where the 'bean counters' have determined that shorter bridge saddle springs = more profit. Argh!

With the string nut properly dressed, you'll need to check the tuners themselves. Are all of the fasteners snug? Is each string pulling cleanly to each post? Is there enough downward pressure over the nut?

Finally, no two guitars will be the same, so it's important to know different ways of setting intonation....

First, you should set the action and neck relief. Neck relief should be checked at the 7th fret, with the low 'E' tuned to pitch, fretted at the 1st and 17th frets, and the truss rod set to give you a reading somewhere between .005-.015. Neck relief is very subjective, but that's a good starting point. Some pick lightly and prefer ultra-low action and an arrow-straight neck. Others really like to dig in with a heavy pick, prefer medium to high action, and absolutely NO fret buzz. String action is subjective, and yours or your customers preferences need to be taken into account. Those are absolutely the first steps.

Second, check the action at the first fret with each string resting open (not fretted). The action at the first fret, as the string leaves the nut, should be in the neighborhood of .016-.020 (or slightly higher, depending on the owner's playing style). If the slots are too tall, you'll need to dress them down to get the nut action in that range. If the action is already too low at the first fret, you need to install a new nut. Period. Anything less is a compromise. ***One important thing to keep in mind*** - if the action is too tall at the nut/first fret, your notes and chords at the first couple of frets will sound out-of-tune due to the fact that your bending the strings down to the fretboard at a sharp angle right there close to the nut. Lower nut action will help remedy this.

You can now adjust the intonation -

Tuning the string open and then fretting at the 12th fret is a good starting point, but there are variables. First of all, when you press the string down to the 12th fret, you are bending the string out of its plane of travel = in other words, you're already bending it sharp. I prefer to check a string's intonation open, and at the 5th, 12th and 17th frets. This will give you a more accurate reading of the entire neck. Simply playing a harmonic at the 12th fret is NOT a good way to check or adjust your intonation. I now it sounds strange, but strings can 'lie' to you, and you can get false readings. You'll need to actually 'fret' the note to get an accurate intonation reading.

There are so many variables. How close are the pickup's magnetic polepieces to the strings??.....the magnets WILL affect the strings elliptical oscillation pattern if they are too close to the strings. How worn are the fret crowns? If the tops look like a school bus' roof, your intonation will be approximate, at best. Are the strings nickel-plated, or pure nickel wound? I have found that SOME guitars simply will not intonate well with nickel-plated strings. The higher your standards (or your customer's), the more variables, and the more you need to know.

Good luck, and I hope that some of this info helps,
Mike

Text revised - 1/1/09

Forrester Kustoms, LLC
Guitar Repair & Service
Baltimore, Maryland
(443) 722-6938
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2007 7:25 pm
Welcome to GT, Bluzboy66! With posts like this, you've already made a great contribution to the forums. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.